Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Boost pressure gauges

I am going to install boost pressure gauges on our 8V71Ti's. I plan to install them to measure airbox pressure as opposed to turbo pressure. Will 35PSI gauges be sufficient? I'd like to use gauges that use most of the scale on the gauge rather than (say) a 60+ PSI gauge that will never go beyond 1/2 scale.

I like autometer oil-filled Pro-Comp gauges: http://www.egauges.com/vdo_mult3.asp...Pro_Comp&Cart=
    but would be glad to hear alternate suggestions.

Thanks

2. Re: Boost pressure gauges

35psi will be fine. If you push more than that, I'd love to know how

Be aware that tapping off the airbox permanently can lead to the gauges plugging and necessitate replacement. I think you're doing the right thing, but want you to be aware of this potential issue and be prepared to deal with it.

Re: Boost pressure gauges

Yeah, I was thinking of plumbing the gauge fitting into the airbox drain hose. I know that it would probably clog periodically but plumbed into the hose would make it fairly easy to clean. Then again, there might be a better spot to tap in that would not have so much oil just sitting there. I haven't really looked to see if there are some fittings already in place other than the airbox drain fittings.

4. Re: Boost pressure gauges

There is usually a fitting on top of the airhorn, but that is before the blower.

For the airbox pressure, you need to be upstream of the check valve as well.