Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

keeping bronze parts clean

I have to put a new seawater pump in one of my engines. It arrived today and is bronze- not painted. The kind of thing that would turn green in a few days in the normal order of things.
    I have gotten around this in the past by liberally spraying the part with Corrosion Block and rubbing it in with a cloth. We'll see how it does this time. I did that when I changed all the plumbing for the AC seawater intake and it still looks like new. Too bad I can't go back and do the engine main SW intakes, they're pretty green. So far, CB, with an occasional respray, seems the way to go.

Re: keeping bronze parts clean

I have been able to keep new bronze looking that way by cleaning it, then spraying it with clear lacquer.

Nick

Re: keeping bronze parts clean

I have had the best luck with Boeshield. Whenever someone would buy a new boat, I would spray everything down . 6-7 years later it was still bright and no green. I take all the seastrainers out clean with acid then spray down and reinstall . Whatever can not be removed I clean with Poco and a wire brush and spray. To me nothing looks worse than green fittings in the engine room.