Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Best trick to clean grime off your hands

Hardly Hatteras, but I've been using this for 20 years working on cars and boats and I thought I'd share it. You simply use one of the pot and pan cleaning sponges with the green scotchbrite on one side. With normal hand soap and warm water, it's almost like a grime eraser. For some reason, it doesn't scratch your skin, it just removes the grime.

The Hatteras goes into the warehouse on October 24th. Another season enjoyed, and another winter whittling down my "to-do" list.

Doug Shuman

Re: Best trick to clean grime off your hands

Back in my serious engine building days, I wore surgical gloves to do nearly all engine work. At that time it was to ensure maximum cleanliness of the engine assemblies. A side benefit was they kept my hands clean! Recently they came out with nitrile surgical gloves that can withstand the oil, etc much better. I use those almost anytime I am doing engine/tranny/exhaust/bright work refinishing. Lot easier than cleaning the hands and fingernails!

3. Re: Best trick to clean grime off your hands

Yep.

The Nitrile gloves are the bomb - I keep a pack on board.

Don't buy them at the boat store - try Sam's Club or even places like Home Depot.

Latex works too, but not around diesel fuel - that stuff EATS latex.

Interesting to hear this....I always wear gloves, but then again I am used to it. Actually it feels more normal to me to do any kind of procedure WITH gloves rather than without. That said, I find that there are a lot of ways to get grease off which are better than soap and abrasives. Orange hand cleaner, the non-gritty kind, works best. GoJo is what I have right now and it works fine. Another trick is to pretreat your hands with this stuff before you get them dirty; that helps as well. The nitrile gloves are terrific for wear, but I can't feel as much through them.
    Finally, I have had to clean yellow power cables a few times and found that the gritty hand cleaner does that fairly well. And doesn't damage the yellow plastic.

wd40 cleans your hands as well