Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Noreaster

Noreaster

Holly Molly ... greetings from Long Island (Sag Harbor) ... it's blowin' like a banchee here. I'm tucked in behind a boat called Intuition, it's a yacht redo of a 185' steel supply ship. Glad the "big boy" is taking the hit instead of me. Double lines and all ... it's kinda scarey not being able to be here for all of the next few days !

Re: Noreaster

What kind of winds are you getting?

weather report is saying winds approx 35 - 45. Gusts to ?
    It's been raining since Saturday.
    Ocean bouy off Fire Island had 15' seas this morning.
    Marina says 5 boats are on beaches

If you ask really nicely, maybe Mr Malloy will let you stay on Intuition to keep an eye on your boat!

Now that would be a treat and maybe Malloy will take you for a spin to Bermuda!

Nick

I just got a call from a captain who is at our club in Monmouth Beach, NJ. He let me know that he adjusted my lines to keep me off my midship piling. I was surprised by this since the boat usually doesn't come anywhere near it. He said the dock is 10" underwater and it is blowing like mad down there. A friend of mine who is heading to FL, is stuck down in Ocean City, MD with similar conditions. I guess we are a bit overdue for some ugly weather considering how great the summer was up here.

Jack Sardina

Thank that guy; he may have saved your boat from being holed. I’ve done that a lot down here in hurricane alley. As soon as the water comes up, the boats moved around more in their slips and end up over the pilings. Many boats sunk that way down here…

and... I'm planning to leave tomorrow from L.I. sound for Atlantic City NJ, then on to Cape May. Even leaving on Sunday maybe one heck of a ride.
    Al

I've met Mr. Malloy a few times (nice guy) and have been on Intuition several times (I'm friends with the Captain). Being on Intuition made me realize one thing ... I know a bit about boats ... I don't know ship(sp) about ships. For those of you that know Sag Harbor, I'm on the inside of Waterfront Marina with my bow (bow in) at the stern of Intuition (where the 53MY usually is). Friends at the marina say I have the best spot around for this storm. The folks there were nice enough to give me a storm discount. While this stay was not really in my end of season boat budget, it's still cheaper than my insurance deductable.

Hey guys,
    That's the same storm we had in the North Carolina for four days over the past weekend. 18" of rain, flooding of the rivers and high winds. Not a pretty time. We have not had sunshine in eastern NC since last Wednesday the 5th! Still light rain today. Water has been at flood stage for a week, and all the water from inland is coming down the rivers at about 6 knots.
    Where's the fun anymore?
    Tom