Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Getting rid of shoe scuff marks

Just got the boat back from the yard and have a black cockpit now. Yardman hit the oil-fill valve (after pulling the fill hose from its bucket) and managed to drain both engines and genset oil into the engine room...

They got it cleaned up (after trying to charge me for an oil change!), but the cockpit is full of scuff marks...not so much from the oil, but the running shoes the yardmen were wearing.

I've tried elbow grease and soap, on/off (acid), pretty much everything in the dockbox...any suggestions?

Rick

Re: Getting rid of shoe scuff marks

I've had the best luck with a nylon scrubber side of a dish sponge and regular 409 cleaner. Don't use Scotchbrite scrubbers. They'll clean anything but scratch anything they touch in the process.

Doug

Try WD-40, it worked for me.

Thanks folks, just the info I was needing...wouldn't have thought about WD-40!

I have had some issues with my yard concerning shoddy workmanship and leaving open oil containers in the bilge, but never got her back as you describe. What I did was sit down with the yard foreman with the list of items I was unhappy with and asked point blank, "Is this the current industry standard?" The next time I had to deal with them, they had promised to pick up the boat to do some engine work while I was in California. That was last year when Ivan and Jean came our way. They came and picked up the boat and stored through both storms. Sometimes you have to force the issue with them. As far as cleaning my deck, I use a solution of Clorox, detergent and water. It gets just about everything up. Never tried WD-40. That sounds interesting.

I once mixed up some BarKeepers Friend with some AwlCare. It added just a bit of really fine grit to the "wax". It was just enough to remove the marks without scratching the surface up.

I use nothing but a sponge and MEAN GREEN. Nothing but MEAN GREEN. Its cheap $5.00 at Family Dollar. Try it you will love it. Spyder droppings just run off. Works on everything. Does wonders in a rug machine. Bill

If that doesn't work, I have had good luck with the Interlux Stain Remover. It seems to get most stains off. It does not seem to hurt the paint.

When I was up at the Hatteras Northeast Rendezvous in Rhode Island this summer, the Awlgrip rep said to use the least abrasive product first. Never use Soft Scrub, Simple Green, Comet, etc. as they will rough up the exterior and damage the barrier protection capabilities, creating crevices in the paint. They recommended vinegar in water as the first line cleaning product and going up from there. There weren't any reps present for Imron, but I'm sure that the recommendations wouldn't be much different.

Larry K.
    1980 60' Sportfish
    Monmouth Beach, NJ

Try Spray-9 Available at hardware and marine supply stores.

Tony D