Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: rebuilt starter

rebuilt starter

I want to purchase a rebuilt starter motor to replace my 50mt starter. i found this starter on ebay but the price seems too good to be true. He has good reviews but that isn't too comforting. what do you guys think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50Mt-Delco-s...e38e5a&vxp=mtr

I am also not opposed to rebuilding the starter myself. Who makes quality rebuild kits?

Re: rebuilt starter

Looks like the seller may be in the business, send an message and ask for more info, seems about the cost of a rebuild.
    Here in the PNW there are many rebuilds done as the tugs still use them extensively, I paid close to 300 to have one of mine totally redone. Make sure it's the correct rotation for you application.

Re: rebuilt starter

I have to say the deal sounds OK, with out a core. I would suggest that buying a starter form someone you don't know, and would be a pain to get any warranty from, might not be a good idea. If the starter fails, it will likely not be a good time for a failure.

I would rather spend a few more bucks, if needed, to get a starter from a local vendor with a reputation. and good one, on the line. the E bay vendor will get good feedback after a few starts, and the starter is just getting started\ to earn it's keep.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY