Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

The Yard Mechanic Strikes Again

We had ours out for bottom job and had the yard pull the shafts to replace the wet tubes and clean out the packing glands and repack. they did an exceptional job on the bottom and on the shaft tubes and glands. However as you all preach they did cause another problem.

After the boat was put back in the water I went down to ck it out and ran everthing, noted that the generator was turning only 58 cycles. Thought that was a little odd as I just tuned it prior to being hauled. Proceeded to adjust the Gov. and all seemed well. 2 weeks later, over the past weekend, i had the deck open doing other stuff and noted that someone had stepped on the exhaust hose comming out of the top of the high lift gen muffler, was completely bent over and kinked. pulled it off, cut off the damaged part and reinstalled and noted the gen was now running at 63 cycles so I adjusted it again. Also found the blower hose completely severed, did not care because that is being replaced anyhow. Not going to complain to the yard because the fix was simple and no harm done. we are also pulling out at the end of the month and moving to Pt Canaveral.

Re: The Yard Mechanic Strikes Again

I swear that if I had the time time do every single little thing myself, I would never let a yard monkey on my boat again. I have had so many stupid problems because of them I can not even begin to describe them. Good luck, Glad it worked out ok and did not cost you much money.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

Marinas, taking their cue from the post office, used to employ a few people as "Fragile Stompers." Nowadays, rather than actually pay additional individuals to stomp on fragile items/assemblies, they usually ask the mechanics to perform that function. Many mechanics are only too happy to oblige since fragile stomping is their natural inclination anyway.

Not all marinas are staffed by idiots and run by the terminally corrupt. As an example, I offer Smith's Marina in Crownsville, MD. No one is perfect, but they are honest, fair, and skilled. Not surprisingly, there is a long list to get in there for winter haulout, and they no longer do paintwork or major refurbishing. But what they do, they do well at a fair price.
    A few years ago, because of an astonishingly bad winter, they were delayed on launching everyone's boats- the snow hadn't melted off them yet. The contracts allow for charging more, as the storage interval was longer. However, they did not. Everyone stayed an extra two weeks at their expense, and got in as soon as they were able to launch them.
    They are a third-generation family business. It shows. Not only that, when I gave up my winter haulout spot so Blue Note could spend the winter in the paint shop in Cambridge, the next fall I got my haulout spot back. (Smith's had declined the paint job, which they were no longer doing). I was glad to be back there.

I too just got out of yard. When the mechanics serviced the thru hull
    strainers they left the holding tank valve open there by filling them
    with seawater. Can any one tell me the volume of the tanks .

Quote Originally Posted by MAKANA
    I too just got out of yard. When the mechanics serviced the thru hull
    strainers they left the holding tank valve open there by filling them
    with seawater. Can any one tell me the volume of the tanks .
    Makana,

The forward tank is 100 gal. The starboard tank is 60 gal. However, I don't see how you can have holding tanks fill with seawater from thru hulls unless you still have the little copper crossover pipe on Galleymaid head pumps. That pipe should be cut and crimped unless you have a strange setup that can cause the discharge pump to lose prime.

Doug Shuman

What copper crossover pipe are you referring to? I haven't seen (or noticed) such a pipe.

My fwd tank is below the water line. If I open the seacock for discharge overboard without also closing the line to the fwd tank, it will fill the tank with seawater. The line from the head goes to a tee at the throughhull and then on to the tank.

Mike ,
    The pipe they are referring to is a 1/4 " copper tube that goes from the raw water side of the pump to the discharge (black water) side . Some installations require them due to the flush side losing it's prime. Basically what you are doing is priming the BW pump side with sea water. One of my heads has it the other two do not. It will also compensate for a weak stator on the flush side.......Pat