Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hatteras 41C - GM 8V53 Diesel

Anyone know why they discontinued this motor? Can you find replacement parts for this motor and is it going to be a headache repairing this? boat has been sitting off land for 6 years, motors were prooperly treated and winterized. With diesels can any harm come from not be used? Can diesel go bad or seals or any other part of the engine I need to worry about?
    thanks in advance.

Re: Hatteras 41C - GM 8V53 Diesel

Anything can go bad. Parts are available but not as easy to find as they are for 71 series DDs. No mechanical device profits from disuse; they all suffer. That said, laying them up properly is a help. Probably not a headache to repair if needed, just find someone who knows DDs and has verifiable experience with them. Obtain an engine survey and get a sea trial. It's essential. Especially when you are starting up engines that have been asleep for six years.

Get the fuel cleaned (polished) and at least check the tanks for crud. Way cheaper than an injector or piston
    Last edited by rwappleton; 05-21-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Do you own the boat already or you interested in buying it? Makes a difference in how you approach the situation. 6 years is a long time. Not really in respect to the engines, but everything else. If you just want to know if they are in decent shape and run, a good dd mechanic should be able to get them running in a day or two. Parts are pretty easy to get, some blower parts are very hard to come by and expensive. I would not run them on the boats tanks. Use some portable tank. You really wont get a good feel for the engines until you have a good load on them. I am sure after 6 years you have a very fouled bottom, water pickups plugged with growth. Impellars need to be changed, coolant, oil, etc. Tanks probably need the most attention. I would pull fuel out and vacuum the tanks. You will wish you had after you get water across the injectors. There is a lot of work and or money spent to really get her back up and running. That being said, dont let it scare you. That is one fantastic boat and equally good engines. I am partial though, I have the same boat. Dont think for a second that you can put some new batteries in the engine room and crank her up and everything is going to be ok. There is a good chance they would fire up, but something is going to stick and they migjt run away on you. Get a 2 stroke guy or start reading. Also, dont let anybody tell you detroits always smoke. If well maintained, they run clean after the first couple minutes. Good luck.