Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Re: Cant give these boats away ?

I couldn't agree more with Ross of what Eric said. If someone had told me 10 years ago I'd be owning and living the spring summer and fall weekends aboard a classic old boat I would have told them they were nuts. It wasn't until I saw a great old Chris Craft Constellation in a marina near me that I knew I wanted one of those. Then it wasn't until a couple of years later that I started to look in earnest and found the Hatteras my boat of choice, and it had to be one of the old classics. Hell, my house is over 200 years old how could like a newer boat let alone afford one. My wife, kids and I start to get twitchy around February and start to count the days until we can get her back in the water. It is truly a love and passion that has brought my family closer together.
    Family Tides - 1969 41' Twin Cabin
    Mema - 1984 17' Boston Whaler Montauk
    High Bar Harbor Yacht Club
    Barnegat Light NJ

Amen again. I have been friends with Eric for decades, not just years, and I recall clearly when he started up the company he still owns and through which he still makes his (quite decent) living.

What he didn't tell you is how many repeat customers he has had- folks for which he's done three and four boat deals. Unfortunately, I am his worst customer. He sold me a Hatteras over twenty years ago and I haven't needed anything else since.

Phil
    Almost everyone has given you a great piece of advice. Hire a reputable broker who has knowledge and experience with this Hatteras series of models. You need 50 pictures on Yachtworld tomorrow! At the end of the day, it's fine where it is. You just want it sold.

In today's market, you got a $140 offer, and didn't take it? $140,000 NET could be the current peak for that model year, for a 53 that's still in pretty good shape. I'm not putting it down, but it could be simply what it is. It would take a week to completely research that market to make sure.

Just think about this. What will it cost you to keep her for 2 more years? Including Fuel, Correct Maintenance, Dockage and Insurance. (You can leave out the cost of food, liquor, and hot babes)! Subtract that amount from what you want for it. The sooner you sell it for the highest possible offer, the less money you'll loose in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by pizzazsdaddy View Post
    Phil
    Almost everyone has given you a great piece of advice. Hire a reputable broker who has knowledge and experience with this Hatteras series of models. You need 50 pictures on Yachtworld tomorrow! At the end of the day, it's fine where it is. You just want it sold.

In today's market, you got a $140 offer, and didn't take it? $140,000 NET could be the current peak for that model year, for a 53 that's still in pretty good shape. I'm not putting it down, but it could be simply what it is. It would take a week to completely research that market to make sure.

Just think about this. What will it cost you to keep her for 2 more years? Including Fuel, Correct Maintenance, Dockage and Insurance. (You can leave out the cost of food, liquor, and hot babes)! Subtract that amount from what you want for it. The sooner you sell it for the highest possible offer, the less money you'll loose in the long run.
    Hi Paul, In your weekend travels have you found a suitable replacement for your 58? BTW, It was nice meeting you in person.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Phil,
    Mostly good advice from many here and all well intended.
    If you've learned anything in your time on this forum, it should be that everyone is incredibly, genuinely helpful (unless the conversation turns to politics!).

I recently made the decision to sell my boat. The reasons are insignificant, but what was important was that I was mentally in a state of mind that it was time for the boat to move on to another owner. I had two choices in how to sell her:

1. list it myself. I'm a marketing and ad guy and knew I could do a good job of getting the listing out there, but it involved time and money. Of course, I'd save a big chunk if it moved fast.

2. List it with a broker. Being a business owner, the commission dollars kept swirling in my head. Damn that's a lot of money! But a good broker could/should move it faster than I can, which factored into the equation.

Ultimately, I chose the broker route and went with one of the brokers here. To say he busted his ass to accommodate me and the buyer is an understatement. The value he bought to the table was also invaluable. He knows Hatts, knows many buyers/sellers and knows what makes us (buyers and sellers) tick. Real sellers "want" to sell and real buyers "want" to buy. Knowing who they are and helping all parties find a happy middle ground is an art.

I can say that if I'd tried to selling solo, I would have been too emotionally involved in the process and it would have been more luck than skill if I sold it. And I can say for a fact that sellers are always more emotionally involved than buyers, its human nature.

All of this said, I would look in the mirror, take a deep breath and ask yourself a couple if things:
    1. Do I reall want/need to sell it?
    2. Can I do it myself and spend the time, resources and emotional ups/downs associated with this process?
    3. Can I afford to have a broker list it and know that it will cost me more, but odds are it will sell much faster and I won't be involved on a daily basis with all of the tire kickers?

Just my humble opinions, but they worked for me and might work for you as well.
    Good luck with your sale!