Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Calling all leak detectives!!!

Like on a previous thread from Ian, we have the same leak in the aft head from the medicine cabinet under the wing door/drain area. We also have it on the port side as well and starting to tear apart the aft closet. We have found wood rot in the framing for the wing doors but don't know how that framing is attached to the fiberglass deck. Could there be screws underneath there going through the deck that might be letting the rain water get in? Anyone have knowledge about the wing door framing and repair suggestions for the wood? I'm sure some of you have been there and done that!! Happy 4th to everyone!

Lisa
    1979 58 ft Yachtfish

Re: Calling all leak detectives!!!

Have you checked the drain hoses before and after the door? Mine had just a little rot at the base which I replaced. I did not find and screws.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I think the leak from the medicine cupboard may come from the shower fittings
    These fittings could spray water upward that could migrate to the top of the medicine cupboard

Seven, thank you for the response. Our boats were basically built the same way except we have the 5 feet of cockpit. We resealed the starboard scupper drains and screws and that hasn't helped. We are continuing to demo this week with the medicine cabinet. We may try to cut a hatch in the top like others have suggested but in heavy rains the back wall of the cabinet is wet so may just take the whole thing out.

The port side is going to be much more difficult to access the drain hose connections to the deck above but will keep trying.

Ian, our leak is definitely not from the shower since it has not been used. It is definitely from the torrential rains we have been having in south Florida. I have found other small drips with this rain so trying to reseal everything. The scupper drains and wood framing under the wing doors is a huge problem!

We'll keep fighting the fight! Any suggestions and experience welcome.

Oh and if anyone knows where the water may flow along the inside of the outer hull that would be great to know! Been studying our blueprints.

Thanks again,
    Lisa and Gary

I fixed a leak under the outer wing door post.
    I glassed a strip of cloth a couple inches wide across the entire base.
    Water was migrating under the bottom frame ( which did have 2 large stainless screws penetrating the toe rail )
    Faired and painted, no more leaks.
    😎

Just redid the wing doors and took off the dodger boards. Wing door construction was interesting. I will start by first removing the drain screws on both sides and rebedding in 4200. Or in my case drilled and epoxy some of the screw holes before hand. That is the easy start. I would also replace the drain tube from the inside. Access on other side is via closet panel. (Used other side as Hatteras swap layouts mid production).The wing doors are made with two pieces of wood with a plywood core (that may be a void). Screw can be found into the gunnel (I found 1 3/4 inch). The dodger and trapezoid elements have 3 screws from the outside through the paint into the wood. Water enters the wing doors from the following Possible screw in bridge to wind doors if you have a core problem. Screws from outside to inside.Any gap in wing edge that gets to core. This core will funnel water inside the wing door. Water that rounds the bridge lip. (My lip is tooo close at the wing point. This was my main issue and was getting the top/inside of the wing. I feared it was a screw leaking out an unknown or davit core leak. It gladly was not. Drilled test holes as I refaired ceiling. Surface water on gunnel. Water runs down the core and gets stuck rotting out the wing bottom.I cut the bottom 2 inches off, epoxied, repaired with new wood, epoxied. I think I’m going to darken and varnish or maybe paint the bottom 2 inches. TBD. Need better weather before I can finish varnishing. Got 2 sealers and one coat on for now.If I was you I focus on visible screws. Yes there are 2-3 inside the wing door that are most likely not your issue.Updated 2023 count (2 paid labors. 2 “free” over 1,100 hr and counting. Not counting mechanical yearly)
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

Barnegat lighthouse, LBI NJ

Quote Originally Posted by rob71 View Post
    I fixed a leak under the outer wing door post.
    I glassed a strip of cloth a couple inches wide across the entire base.
    Water was migrating under the bottom frame ( which did have 2 large stainless screws penetrating the toe rail )
    Faired and painted, no more leaks.
    Rob71, Thank you for that idea and will definitely implement since the wood still sounds solid. However I do think we may have water coming in the top of that outer framing from the upper deck which needs to be investigated. Thanks for letting us know about the screws!

[QUOTE=metama;431267]Just redid the wing doors and took off the dodger boards[/QUOTE}
    Metama, Thank you for taking the time to give us soooo much detail about the wood construction and possible leak areas! This is going to be very helpful for the carpenter/fiberglass guy that is coming Thursday. We will continue to make our way to the drains on both sides to potentially change out the drain tubing. We are going to have to attack from the top, middle and underneath the gunnel!

Thank you so much again! BTW what are you calling the dodger boards; the boards in the gunnel stopping the door?

Lisa and Gary

On my 1981 53 my l found a panel with 4 screws on the ceiling to the right of the medicine cupboard
    I was able to see the drain hoses No leaks there

I had a leak in the medicine cabinet in the aft head. It was from the portlight right above it. I re-caulked the trim ring on that port and that stopped it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI