Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hynautic Shift Rebuild

I have to have ny Hynautic Shifts rebuilt on my 1990 54 ED. My question is: In my engine room I have 3 Hynautic tanks. The smaller one I believe is for the steering. That leaves me with the 2 larger tanks. One is on the starboard side and the second on the port side. In order to remove the shift set and send to FL for rebuild I have to depressurize the tank. Any clue which one, port or starboard is for the shift set or the throttle set of handles? Short of depressurizing both of them how can I figure it out.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Hynautic Shift Rebuild

Release pressure at the air valve. This disables the throttle AND clutch to that sides engine.
    I use blue tape & Sharpie pen, near and far from the servo, on the tubing to label what/where it connects to, take pictures of that before disconnecting and removing the failed unit. Pictures of the linkage also before disassembly may help la also.

Stuff the disconnected tubes into a clean 2L coke bottle to collect the drips.

I just did this with the same boat (1986 54 MY).

Starboard reservoir is for starboard throttle and gears and port is for port. The little reservoir in the port ER is for steering.

Rebuild was $800 for each handle Boat Steer in Venice, FL. They had new ones in a box for $1150 each, so I did that. You can probably buy my rebuilds from them.

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54 MY with est)
    Tampa

The control stations?? Wow, they do fail but rarely vs the servos, IMO.
    I was reading shifter servo at the clutch.
    Are you sure the controllers are bad? Trouble shot well??

My last Hynautic issue were bad servos.
    Move the control levers and the servos may move,, a little.
    The servos get most contaminants and trash from the system as gravity always wins.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 07-05-2023 at 04:33 PM.

Thank you.

They are shifting just fine. There is a leak where the handle goes into the main body of the shift handle. I believe there is an O ring there that is known to leak. This is on the bridge. The pilothouse set is fine. I hear the heat and sun can dry out the O ring.