Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Yellow Hull - Pro's & Con's ?

How about the 45 Palm Beach Edition in the mid 80's? Didn't they have either a yellow or blue hull? Anyone have any pictures or a scan of the original brochure?

george in NC

There is a 36 or 38 Hatt that was redone by Tom Slane in New Jersey. Boats name is Two Coats (hey I didn't name it) (lol). That boat is painted with the colors you mentioned (Yellow/White). Gotta say it looks really pretty. Have also seen boats (Mostly Vikings) painted with an Ice Blue Hull and Matterhorn White Topsides, and I think that looks really nice!

Anyhow, like the others have said. Look at the other boats and Decide what's right for you.!!!

OldHatt45

We are in South Florida and painted the Kathy L in "FLY" about 7 years ago. Last month had Tom Slayne make new side vents, for repower, and had him paint them "FLY" Perfect Match!!! John.

I think colored hulls look great. I didn't do it on Blue Note because I was trying for a vintage look and wanted her to look as much as possible like she did when new. I have seen a lot of older boats done with light yellow, light green, light blue hulls and they look fine. And Flag Blue looks great, BUT gets hotter than hell and doesn't wear all that well. Although it seems to hold up well on Hinckleys and sailboats. Go for it, it's your baby.

A Hatteras any color will look good. Anytime you paint a boat white it will look bigger. I think adding color to any boat makes them look like toy boats. Even though they look nice. Color on a sport fish would work but not on a MY. White is elegant and pure just like the Hatteras boats. Bill

Thanks for all your replys so far! Please keep em' coming!

Hell you could paint a vintage Hatteras battleship grey and it would look good. I personally like the FLY and light Carolina blue but looking around the dock so does everyone else. I echo what other have said, it's your baby so paint her with what "floats your boat". Bob

I think you question was how well colors such FLY hold up. I can verify that it holds up fine and Kathy L verifies the same after 7 yrs. keep color clean and use the Awl-Care 1-2 x per year.

I don't know about you, but I really like the original Hatteras Off-white. It is such a signature color. Everyone knows when they see that color that it's a Hatt. When I was looking for my boat, I passed on a 53MY that had been painted with the new Hatteras bright white. I don't know, it just looked "wrong" to me.

But, I agree with Trojan, that a SF is different than a motoryacht. Hull colors are more acceptable on a SF. So, I echo the other comments, with "it's your baby, do what you like".

funny that someone mentioned "battleship grey" ... it has actually crossed my mind .... and probably flat instead of gloss.
    Different, but kinda cool, I think .... for an old 45