Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Yellow Hull - Pro's & Con's ?

I'm seriously thinking about repainting the ole 76 36' this winter as a Birthday present for her....she's turning 30!
    Anyway....I've been back and forth about a hundred times on whether to paint the hull - Fighting Lady Yellow or Snow White
    I must have asked a dozen people already and most say the yellow will look great, "but".........
    I don't have to commit for a little while yet , So......I'm throwing it out here....please gimme your $.02!
    THANKS!

Re: Yellow Hull - Pro's & Con's ?

Personally I've seen one yellow hull and didn't like it. It could affect resale if that's an issue....

But....A new paint job looks great regardless of the color. Paint it the color that you like best and enjoy it....

3. Re: Yellow Hull - Pro's & Con's ?

Be aware of sun fading issues......

Colored hulls look great - for a year or two. This is particularly true if your dockage exposes one area to the sun significantly more than another.....

We are planning on painting our 46C hull yellow and top sides snow white. I have seen several and think they look great. Most new big Sf are being delivered with colored hulls. Make sure you pick the right yellow. I have seen some that look greenish yellow and others a softer yellow.

I think if you take care of it it will last just fine. There is a yellow 52C in CT that was here in NJ several years ago. That boat was painted at least 7 years ago and still looks great. I know someone with a navy blue 41 Viking. The paint on that boat is at least 8 years old and still looks like new. I think if it is done right and cared for it will last.

Jack Sardina

Personal opinion on Fighting Lady Yellow, best looking color out there. If you want to get lost in the crowd, paint her white.

Mine was Awlgriped with FLY about 5years ago, still looks as good as it did then. we coat her 1 to 2x per year with Awlcare and keep it clean. 1967 34c.

you may want to review photos of another 36 on this web site, Cathy L is a fine example. I dont think you will find a finer looking boat out there. also get the slane vents like he did since you are repainting.

I agree with Steve the fighting lady yellow is a nice color. Spray a Trojan F32 with it and a pure white top for a friend and it is sharp looking " even with it being a Trojan :-}. The yellows hold up very well on a hull its the dark color that can be a problem!
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

I prefer a light gray color. I painted my 34 C light gray hull with blue accent striped above the hull and on the bridge. The deckhouse and bridge are white. No fading issues at this time as the color is very light but distinctive.

Look at the pics of all the different colors on the owners pages. Pick the color you like best and go for it!!!!!! My hull is midnight blue with white topsides, I think it looks great that color and don't care if someone else doesn't think so. Your boat should suit you not the anticipated next owner. Mine was painted with imron and it lasts about ten years. I am due to repaint now.
    Good Luck with your project, Fred

To me and my conservative tastes, a Hatt with a yellow hull is a bit like a Brooks Brothers suit with sneakers.....