Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Gas to diesel engine guidance...

Hi all,
    I have gas engines in my Hatteras 38 dcfb now, and would like to change to diesel for all the right reasons.
    'New' i$ not an option, but I do have a line on 2 Ford Lehmans (6000 hrs) 120 HP, from a 47 foot wood trawler being parted out. (Very sad to see). Seller wants 10k for engines, shafts, props etc. The shafts are 2", I think my shafts are smaller, but may be still be able to couple to the transmission. My understanding is that nearly all the Taiwanese boats were built with the 120 hp Fords, and that parts are still very available.
    So a few questions.
    Does this make since to you?
    What price should these high time engines be? Is 10k good value?
    Can my existing fiberglass fuel tanks handle diesel?
    Will 2 120 hp push my 38' to cruise at 8 or 9 knots? (We run it now at those trawler speeds).
    I can believe that there will be some modification of the engine beds. Thoughts on this?

As I say, I just need some guidance as this is way beyond my experiance and DIY abilities, but have people I trust that can do this.
    I appreciate your thoughts and insights!
    Sailor John
    Sailor John
    Mad Hatter
    38' Double Cabin Flybridge

Re: Gas to diesel engine guidance...

We converted our 34 from gas to 3160 cats back in the early 70's. Its not for the faint of heart and you will get a lot of comments that you should look for one with the power you want already in it. But sometimes like getting your old lady a boob job its better to fix up what you got than take on a whole new set of problems.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

John, your existing tanks will be fine with diesel if they are in good shape as of now. Most Hatteras yachts were built with all the hardware for diesel already in. That is unlikely to be a problem.

Cheap repowers usually turn out to be more expensive in the end. If you want a trawler-speed boat, I think I would try to find more recent engines that had already been rebuilt (or 4BT Cummins recons) rather than a set of old engines which you are going to have to recondition anyway. They will end up costing you more. You will also have to buy transmissions for them etc etc.

Keep in mind that you are essentially making a hull which was intended to be a planing boat into a displacement-speed boat. That is not the same as a displacement hull. You might be better off just buying the boat you want to begin with, which is a Hatteras 42LRC, from the sound of it, or a smaller trawler yacht which is meant to run at the speeds you want to cruise.

The guru for the Lehmans is Bob Smith. He owns American Diesel in Kilmarnock, VA and lives in West Palm in the winter. I'd suggest you give him a call. Those engines may well be OK if properly maintained, but if you have Borg Warnerr transmissions, there could be i$$ues with them. The price seems a bit high to me.

As suggested above, you might well want to look for a trawler.

Bobk

Price does seem a bit high for those engines but you are getting the running gear with them. I don't think you'd want the running gear for your boat so I'd see if they'd be willing to sell the engines and gears separate from the running gear. I don't think I would do it unless you plan on keeping the boat forever. It's going to cost a bit to do it right and you'll end up with a boat that's going to be hard to sell when the time comes. Keep in mind if you go to diesel, you'll also be changing out the generator. Are your engines shot or are you doing the repower to switch from gas to diesel? You might be able to get a pair of 3208 Cats or Cummins 6BTA's for similar money. If they fit, either would be a much better choice.
    Jack Sardina

Evening all,
    I was able to see the engines today and yes, it looks like quite a job.
    Probably more than I want to get into. The engines look good, (No visable leaks etc) and the mechanic expects to have them running this weekend. BUT....man, what a job that switch would be.
    I think I will sit tight and wait for a 42 or 48LRC to come along. IMG00395.jpgIMG00394.jpgIMG00393.jpg
    The sad thing is that these engines are on a 47' deFever. It's wood, and its 'gone'. Quite a shame; it was once someones pride and joy.
    Thanks to you all for your insights and thots.This is the best forum!

Sailor John
    Sailor John
    Mad Hatter
    38' Double Cabin Flybridge

John, I think you are making a good decision.

We were all someone's pride and joy once, weren't we? some of us still are....