Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: What would cause a compressor seizure in a brand new AC unit?

Angela, I had a brand new AC compressor fail on me new right out of the box. I don't think you will have a problem getting it exchanged under warranty.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

When you say self contained, you did not have to add refrigerant before start up or connect refrigerant lines ? otherwise could be overcharged or contaminated if the system was not vacuumed.

It's new, under warranty, and yes self-contained - pretty much "plug and play". I did not add gas or open it in any manner such as that. It's probably got 20 hours on it. It's in my car and is going back to the local factory tomorrow. Whatever it is, they're going to have to fix it. When trying to start it, Ed put a clamp meter on the power cord, and it was drawing 30 amps and the compressor got hot as fire. I'm just curious as to what can cause that. I've had warranty work from this factory before and they don't like to tell me what wasn't right when it left the factory; only that "it's fixed now". I'm more of a "want to know" kind of person, even when they do fix it under warranty.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

sounds like you are on the right side ok, warranty should be no issue.

Am surprised up here in Canucky land at what's going on with a lot of supply outlets, seems there are no sales reps on the road, checking the outlets stock of stuff and replenishing as needed, also, more resistance to defective stuff being replaced without question which I find to be quite insulting, most sales staff don't know alternators from starters, or worse, what's a dynamo you ask.... blank....lots of fun..

How come the breaker didn't pop? I d be concerned what size breaker do you have?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat