Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What would cause a compressor seizure in a brand new AC unit?

I swear I have the WORST luck with air conditioning!

I got a whole three days of running out of a brand new 16K self-contained unit (ran it in cool mode for 1 day, then heat mode for 2 days). Now, the compressor is seized. Everything else is working just fine - fan, pump, digital control, etc. It's pulling 30 amps while when it buzzes trying to start. The others that are just as new are working just fine.

What would cause such a seizure in a brand new unit? Nothing I can do about it except pull it out and take it back to the factory in the morning, but I'd like to understand how something like that happens just for the pure knowledge. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Angela; 03-26-2013 at 10:56 AM.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

2. Re: What would cause a compressor seizure in a brand new AC unit?

Manufacturing defect in the mechanical section or contamination (improper assembly) that got sucked into the moving parts and locked it up.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Re: What would cause a compressor seizure in a brand new AC unit?

Can something like this be repaired or is it fatal meaning the compressor will have to be replaced? I do not yet know what position the factory will take until I get it there tomorrow. The way I see it, with this being a self-contained unit, it pretty much takes ME out of the picture as having broken it. There is no way I could have contaminated the gas by hooking up the water and electric wires.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

4. Re: What would cause a compressor seizure in a brand new AC unit?

I'd expect them to replace it.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I swear I have the WORST luck with air conditioning!

I got a whole three days of running out of a brand new 12K self-contained unit (ran it in cool mode for 1 day, then heat mode for 2 days). Now, the compressor is seized. Everything else is working just fine - fan, pump, digital control, etc. It's pulling 30 amps while when it buzzes trying to start. The others that are just as new are working just fine.

What would cause such a seizure in a brand new unit? Nothing I can do about it except pull it out and take it back to the factory in the morning, but I'd like to understand how something like that happens just for the pure knowledge. Any ideas?
    Installing it on your boat! You really do have some bad luck with AC. Sounds like a defective unit. Hopefully they'll stand behind their product and replace it with a new one.
    Jack Sardina

I've been told that saturated desiccant dyers will allow an acid to form when the moisture and oil mix. the acid destroys the compressor. If the unit sat uncapped for a significant time that might be something to consider.

Wow.. yeah you have bad luck!

Being self contained and precharged they can't find any excuse...

It s a NEW unit... new stands for Never Ever Worked
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

are you sure it is seized? A bad capacitor can do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    are you sure it is seized? A bad capacitor can do the same thing.
    And do you have to remove it and take it to them for service? Being that it's new and under warranty I would expect them to come to you for warranty work.
    Jack Sardina

Is there a possibility it is under warranty. I agree hooking up water and electric would not cause this problem. You might want to make sure the unit is getting good ac power to it though, a loose connection could give you a problem. On home units compressors have a pretty long warranty, I'm not sure on marine units. I agree with Dave, the start capacitor is a strong possibility.