Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: Florida's 58 Hatteras Yacht Fish inspection tour

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    Ok,so at the risk of adding to the fray, what do you all think a reasonable price would be for a boat like Pizzaz? I have followed this string for a while, and must say I would agree with Pizzazdaddy that the other boats he looked at are wrecks. And I am just looking at the pix on yachtworld! I've had boats for about 28 years, although none as large as the 58's, and understand the mechanics of getting one done right whether you do the work yourself or otherwise. I love these classic style Hatteras's and am trying to reconcile spending a premium to have one already done vs taking on a project. From what I gather, Pizzaz has had almost everything done but the engines. If they were to need overhaul that would add 75-100 to whatever someone paid for her. I also agree that the lack of stabilizers is an issue that should be reflected in the price. So ok. I said it. What would you guys consider a reasonable price for this boat???
    That can only be answered accurately by you. You need to look at it and determine what it has over others that you are interested in and what you'd be willing to pay for it. Just because some of the other 58YF are dogs doesn't make Pizzaz worth what he's asking. The dogs aren't selling either so the comparison is moot. Look at what you can buy for the budget you have and then determine if you think this boat is worth what it will cost to purchase it. I'd think a good 58YF is worth around 175K-225K. I doubt any 58YF unless it's very unique and the right buyer finds it, will bring much more than that. There's just too much to choose from that's bigger and newer for not too much more. Talk to a good buyer's broker who can give you accurate comps to make the determination of vale. Don't just look at 58YF comps, see what other Hatts are selling for. You might be surprised to see what your money can buy. $400K can get you into a late '80's Hatt in the 65ft-75ft range. 6 or 7 years ago you'd need at least a million to do that.
    Jack Sardina

Jack, understood. Thanks for the input. I have looked and know what the 70's are going for, as well as the 67 cockpits, which I think have really nice lines. My dilemma will be that being from the Northeast I would like to be able to hook moorings in places like Newport, Martha's Vineyard, Block Island, and Montauk every now and then as opposed to having to shell out big money for transient slip fees all the time. I will grab slips, just don't want to have to do it all the time in my favorite harbors. I'm thinking I don't want to go over 60 feet, and really like the yachtfisher layout. I have looked at the 54 motor yachts of the early 90's vintage, and although they do not have a cockpit they do have 4 staterooms and the big back deck to have dinner on. Like you said, they are also newer and VERY reasonably priced, some with fresh power. I'm interested to hear what others have to say as well, as I lcontinue to be executed by the bunch in this forum that know these boats inside and out! Thanks again Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    Jack, understood. Thanks for the input. I have looked and know what the 70's are going for, as well as the 67 cockpits, which I think have really nice lines. My dilemma will be that being from the Northeast I would like to be able to hook moorings in places like Newport, Martha's Vineyard, Block Island, and Montauk every now and then as opposed to having to shell out big money for transient slip fees all the time. I will grab slips, just don't want to have to do it all the time in my favorite harbors. I'm thinking I don't want to go over 60 feet, and really like the yachtfisher layout. I have looked at the 54 motor yachts of the early 90's vintage, and although they do not have a cockpit they do have 4 staterooms and the big back deck to have dinner on. Like you said, they are also newer and VERY reasonably priced, some with fresh power. I'm interested to hear what others have to say as well, as I lcontinue to be executed by the bunch in this forum that know these boats inside and out! Thanks again Jack.
    I'm not suggesting going bigger I'm just pointing out what the market conditions are and what that price range buys. Bigger means much bigger expenses, not just when you're traveling. I don't think I would ever own a boat without a cockpit. That's where we spend most of the time when at anchor.
    Jack Sardina

Thanks Jack. Ha! Just noticed that I typed "executed" instead of educated, by the group in this club. Gotta love autocorrect!
    Jack, I know what you mean about the cockpit. I currently own a 40ft Silverton and love the cockpit, and really want a cockpit on the next boat. There's a 65 hatteras MY up here in Fall River Ma that I have not already bought for that reason.......no cockpit. The boat is pristine and has had constant care all of its life. If it had a cockpit I would have already jumped on it. You can eat off the engines. It's on yachtworld, I think it's an 89 or 90.

Hi Jonjen50

If it's at all reassuring to you, PIZZAZs engines were surveyed when I purchased her, including oil samples, and fully serviced during her refit. They don't smoke when you start 'em. They run beautifully. In fact, when the engine surveyor pulled the inspection plates he said it still looked new inside. This boats previous owner was an airline pilot who babied her since new. I'm no different. When my family is on board, I want everything right.

My engine surveyor is Ron Doerr from Diesel Plus Inc. He supervised all of the maintenance work that was done. I have receipts for everything, and will be happy to share them with you.

There have been many excellent opinions here regarding value and current pricing. Everyone has made excellent points. But keep in mind that even newer boats at a great price, that seem like a bargain, may have been abused and not properly cared for either. If you've been boating for 28 years, I'm sure you've seen alot of them. Please see PIZZAZ in person, you'll immediately understand.

If you like the 58 yacht fish model. This IS that one in a million example.

Part of the value is dictated by the market; part of the value is dictated by the condition. I'm sure Pizzazz is a beautiful boat, so she would sell at the top of the market for that boat of that age. Which, IMHO, would be about 225K or thereabouts, I don't think any more than that. And because of her age, financing will be difficult so the new owner will be someone with a lot of cash to put towards the purchase. Your competition is ferocious, and it's more a buyers market than anyone else's.

Jim's right on this one. Market is the driver.

There is a Stabilized 1984 Hatteras 53 Classic that has been for sale in Virginia. She is now "sale pending". The broker (whom I trust) says that she has "new electronics, new generator, new bow thruster, updated interior with new carpet, spotless engine room, new bimini and enclosure, hard enclosed air conditioned aft deck, new Stidd Helm chairs, new AGM batteries and so much more". He comments that "this stabilized Hatteras 53 Classic promises to be the Best in U.S." This is reportedly a fresh water boat for much of her life along with heated indoor storage and all that comes along with that condition-wise. So we assume that she is a rock star.

Most recent asking price was $269,000. She is under contract and I'm told has already been surveyed and sea-trialed, now just waiting for the $ to change hands. I was told what the winning number is, (it's not far off the ask) but I shall wait until the deal is closed before posting that.

So if that boat is selling for where it is money-wise with Naiad stabilizers and new bow thruster, etc, etc, how much is the trade-off for the lack of a cockpit? What is the market value of the cockpit to someone who wants it, against the dollar value of stabilizers and a bow thruster to the same buyer who also wants those items?
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    There is a Stabilized 1984 Hatteras 53 Classic that has been for sale in Virginia. She is now "sale pending". The broker (whom I trust) says that she has "new electronics, new generator, new bow thruster, updated interior with new carpet, spotless engine room, new bimini and enclosure, hard enclosed air conditioned aft deck, new Stidd Helm chairs, new AGM batteries and so much more". He comments that "this stabilized Hatteras 53 Classic promises to be the Best in U.S." This is reportedly a fresh water boat for much of her life along with heated indoor storage and all that comes along with that condition-wise. So we assume that she is a rock star.

Most recent asking price was $269,000. She is under contract and I'm told has already been surveyed and sea-trialed, now just waiting for the $ to change hands. I was told what the winning number is, (it's not far off the ask) but I shall wait until the deal is closed before posting that.

So if that boat is selling for where it is money-wise with Naiad stabilizers and new bow thruster, etc, etc, how much is the trade-off for the lack of a cockpit? What is the market value of the cockpit to someone who wants it, against the dollar value of stabilizers and a bow thruster to the same buyer who also wants those items?
    I'd say that my $225K value for Pizzaz would be right on based on that sale
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Part of the value is dictated by the market; part of the value is dictated by the condition. I'm sure Pizzazz is a beautiful boat, so she would sell at the top of the market for that boat of that age. Which, IMHO, would be about 225K or thereabouts, I don't think any more than that. And because of her age, financing will be difficult so the new owner will be someone with a lot of cash to put towards the purchase. Your competition is ferocious, and it's more a buyers market than anyone else's.

Hi All,

Pizzaz, no disrespect intended but I think it's time to stop trying to justify to yourself and anyone who will listen why Pizzaz is worth the price you've put on her. Jim and jack have said is as plainly as can be, it's worth what its worth based upon todays realities which they have put forward.

Given all that,, it's exceptional, so selling at todays high end seems reasonable $225-$250

Anyone wold be lucky to own her.
    Last edited by lumina; 03-10-2013 at 11:46 AM.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four