Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Florida's 58 Hatteras Yacht Fish inspection tour

Hey Skycheney

You're absolutely right. That's the hidden beauty of PIZZAZ. She was so lightly equipped by her original owner, that any new buyer gets to start with a clean slate...without a bunch of holes to fill.

All I'm saying is that a factory rebuilt set of "Original Equipment" Vospers, can be properly installed, with a warranty for $11,000, getting the job done for minimal cost.

Consider that any of these old Hatterases with a set of 30 year old stabilizers already intstalled will face the same repair or replacement issues. In this case, you get to start with a really great boat, and equip it to your needs, not someone elses.

This should be good.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

This sure is a tough crowd. I would tend to agree that modern equipment technology would be the better choice. Original is great, but not in this particular case. A customer of mine recently installed a set of Wesmars on his Chris 501 MY. He did some of the work himself and he still has about $40K in it. He admitted that it was an excellent investment in a boat that he plans to own for a long time.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

WOW. So now you're saying that a lightly equipped boat with a high price tag is a good thing? I prefer to put my own stuff on but don't expect to pay a premium to do so. Years ago a Realtor showed me a house that had a gutted kitchen. The sellers were renovating and ended up in divorce. The house was advertised as offering the buyer a new gourmet kitchen of their choice. She failed to mention that I would be the one paying for the remodel. I laughed when she tried to make that a selling point. If the house was priced accordingly, that would be a different story. Things haven't changed in that regard.
    Jack Sardina

I'm still always amazed at the #'s you guys throw out with no backup. Yeah its gona cost $300k $400k Really??? where's the T&M breakdown. Get serious, Oh sure you could take the boat into Merrits and throw them the keys but who would do that with a 30yo outdated clorox bottle. Like the old man in the Steven King movie "Christine" said "you cant polish a turd".
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

WOW what a tough crowd! Let me get this straight...I spend $500,000 to correctly refurbish what was already the nicest 58 Yacht Fish to start with...now I'm supposed to add another $50,000 for the latest newest stabilizers out there...for someone elses benefit with no return? Based on that thinking, there isn't an "un-refreshed" 53 or 58 Hatteras out there worth more than $35,000. Seriously. I want some of what you're smoking...

Hey Saltshaker, did you say that house only needs a new kitchen?

Quote Originally Posted by pizzazsdaddy View Post
    You guys are all making excellent points.

0-$50,000 for a real nasty one. $100,000 for an "average" nasty one. (but why???). $150,000-$225,000 for a nicer one. The price hasn't changed.

What frustrates me, is that when I was shopping for a 58 three years ago, I would have been falling over myself to spend $300,000 for a 58 like PIZZAZ in her current condition. To cruise off into the sunset, with a boat that's physically this turn key??? Wth this much new stuff on it??? We're not talking about a boat that was refit 10 years ago...we're talking about one that was just done last Tuesday.

It doesn't make sense.

She was already the nicest 58 anywhere when I paid in the high 100s for her, and then spent another $335,000 (and still counting)...just to make her the "newest" 58 inside-out. I'm less upset about losing $200,000 than I am about not finding a buyer smart enough to see how much value is really here right now.
    WOW what a tough crowd! Let me get this straight...I spend $500,000 to correctly refurbish what was already the nicest 58 Yacht Fish to start with...now I'm supposed to add another $50,000 for the latest newest stabilizers out there...for someone elses benefit with no return? Based on that thinking, there isn't an "un-refreshed" 53 or 58 Hatteras out there worth more than $35,000. Seriously. I want some of what you're smoking...

You spent another $165K since that first post?
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Great reading. This is like excitedly waiting for the next chapter in a Stephen King series...
    Art

I think the stabilizer issue is only an issue if most 1510MY's have them and buyers expect them to be installed. I don't know if this is true but if I was a buyer for a boat like yours and I wanted stabilizers, I wouldn't buy one without them. The stabilizers won't add much resale value to the boat, it only helps broaden your market. If I was selling your boat, I wouldn't put them in there either. I don't think the lack of stabilizers will negatively impact the sale of your boat, it's the price that's killing it.
    Jack Sardina

Of the 1510 boats that I have sold, perhaps 20% were stabilized. Of all of the stabilized boats I have represented at least half had old stabilizers that didn't work at all or only worked marginally. If you want a stabilized boat, buy one with good working modern stabilizers or install them yourself.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"