Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Florida's 58 Hatteras Yacht Fish inspection tour

I'm thinking that people who have upwards of 300k to spend on a boat may be looking to take advantage of the market and go larger.

Cheryl
    Cinderella
    1971 53 MY

Quote Originally Posted by holtcl View Post
    I'm thinking that people who have upwards of 300k to spend on a boat may be looking to take advantage of the market and go larger.

Cheryl
    Cinderella
    1971 53 MY
    Or much newer. I know a guy who's boat was damaged from Sandy. He's looking for something in the mid 40ft range, '01 or newer, diesel 3 staterooms, $150K budget. That's the reality of the market. Sure he's not going to end up with a Hatteras or similar quality but like many buyers today, he'd prefer a newer Carver, Silverton etc. over an older quality boat. Look around and see how many of these boats are out there. Most of us would never consider one the same as how most of the buyers of those boats would never consider any older boat.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    My highest offer was $190,000 subject to my inspection within 14 days, surveys (engines and boat) and sea trial, with a 10% deposit immediately. I have bought 2 other boats this way in the US before and it is as simple as travelling inter state so long as the right broker is involved.
    The broker would not even forward this onto the owner saying anything under $200,000 would be a no-go. Maybe the broker thought I was an Aussie messing around.
    A few months later, I bought Someday.
    As for looking rough, there is the issue with going by photos. She looked terrific on Yacht World.
    You ended up with a much nicer boat than this boat was/is. Congratulations...
    1978 Yachtfisher 58' #447

Quote Originally Posted by kwerges View Post
    You ended up with a much nicer boat than this boat was/is. Congratulations...
    Thanks!
    As soon as I saw it on YW, it was my target for the next 8 or so weeks until my offer was accepted. Thanks to a Captain I know in Florida, I was able to get a reliable condition report before I flew out.
    Although this Captain had another boat he preferred, also a 53, my mind was made up and I am thankful for that.
    As for the market, we are suffering the same as the US now with boats loosing 50% to get sold. Some of the deals getting done this summer have been sobering. Re-sale is not on my mind and if it was the figures would not be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Or much newer. I know a guy who's boat was damaged from Sandy. He's looking for something in the mid 40ft range, '01 or newer, diesel 3 staterooms, $150K budget. That's the reality of the market. Sure he's not going to end up with a Hatteras or similar quality but like many buyers today, he'd prefer a newer Carver, Silverton etc. over an older quality boat. Look around and see how many of these boats are out there. Most of us would never consider one the same as how most of the buyers of those boats would never consider any older boat.
    Having owned both a newer lesser quality boat as well as my current Hatt, there is no comparison. I would much rather have my "old" girl.
    Ralph
    1985 45C
    VA Beach, VA

FYI...for those who are concerned about PIZZAZs lack of stabilizers, I just got a quote from Vosper in Miami, for a pair of factory remanufactured units, complete with a 1 year warranty, for $11,000 installed.

For any buyer who insists on having them, here's a great solution!

I welcome anyone who reads this forum, to actually see PIZZAZ, and walk away without being impressed by her remarkable condition. I'll buy lunch!

A boat that nice deserves more than a hack job installation of some used out-dated stabilizers. I'd hate to see what that installation looked like. New Naiads or Wesmars or forget it, IMO.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Or save the hull penetrations and seal maintenance and put a seakeeper under the master berth.

Have to admit that would make me jittery with a big heavy disk spinning at a gazillion rpm underneath my mattress as I snooze.
    Shawn
    58 MY

Vospers??? You've got to be kidding. My slip neighbor has a 65 ft. Knight and Carver that came with Vospers and it was built in 1984. They have so far cost him around 18K for constant repairs and upgrades. He still has constant problems with them including losing fin on his last trip up from Mexico. I believe Naiad bought out Vosper many, many years ago. Besides Naiad and Wesmars you will find Trac and Key Power to be excellent. I would guess for a new install of the above brands it will come to about 40-50K depending on where in the boat they will go. If they spec it in a position on the boat that is behind a cupboard or cabinet if no room in the engine room, then it will be even more. Unless a 1510 is going to run in protected waterways its whole life or everyone aboard is wearing scope patches, they need stabilizers. As I have found out, you have to come to the realization that these boats aren't worth much anymore, so deal with it and let it go for way less money, or keep it and enjoy the hell out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by sandspur1966 View Post
    Or save the hull penetrations and seal maintenance and put a seakeeper under the master berth.

Have to admit that would make me jittery with a big heavy disk spinning at a gazillion rpm underneath my mattress as I snooze.
    If it exploded you would probably never know. Not that I'd want to sleep over it, either.