Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: "Capt Hook" chain snubber

I rarely use a bridle, only if it s really blowing or to eliminate the chain noise when we have guests in the VIP.

I use a $10 chain hook, with a big shackle and 2 cheap three strand lines... Shackle on the hook, eyes of the lines on the shackle and a bowline at the other ends on the cleats

I cleat the lines, run them outside the pulpit. Then stand on the pulpit, pull the hook up to catch the chain then while keeping tension on the hook release 20 or 30' of chain. Reverse procedure. Easy and cheap

Last edited by Pascal; 03-02-2013 at 12:39 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

"easy and cheap", well mine was a gift so you can't beat that. Prior to that I just put a rolling hitch on the chain with 3/4" three strand, held dang well in some sustained multi day blows, but nothing over 30knots so not sure how ultimately stout that would have been. My current set up had been in as high as 80, and that plate is now bent slightly. I just replaced the lines this week, they had become stretched and stiff and slightly chafed (after the chafe guard had been worn through). I just use it all the time because you never know, so why not get in the habit. We used to charter a terrific 49 GB in the PNW that had the exact bridle Pascal uses; that worked OK though we never gave it a real test. The boats owner was extremely knowledgeable and anal, so credit that too. Chin hooks tend to twist the chain a bit, especially if laying to one line.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

3. Re: "Capt Hook" chain snubber

Like the "simple and cheap" idea...
    Have several extra dock lines and a big shackle... only need to buy the hook... But would just put the bowline knots on the shackle and use the existing loops for the cleats...
    Worth a try any way
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Reason i used the bowlines on the cleats is that we have big stylish fancy euro styled cleats and most eyes don't fit over them...

It's blowing 30kts tonight behind Little Farmers and while the cay and shallows block the chop there is no shelter from the wind I have 150' of chain on the 176lbs Bruce in 12' of water, the hook is just in the water with excess chain just looping down to the bottom. It is very nice not to have the chain making noise in the pulpit although this is one of these nights where I ll sleep on the couch in the skylounge just in case
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Reason i used the bowlines on the cleats is that we have big stylish fancy euro styled cleats and most eyes don't fit over them...

It's blowing 30kts tonight behind Little Farmers and while the cay and shallows block the chop there is no shelter from the wind I have 150' of chain on the 176lbs Bruce in 12' of water, the hook is just in the water with excess chain just looping down to the bottom. It is very nice not to have the chain making noise in the pulpit although this is one of these nights where I ll sleep on the couch in the skylounge just in case
    Thanks for the inexpensive idea. I have everything except the hook. Saving me some $$$.
    Art

Yeah...thats the same kinda hook I have. First time anchoring out we didnt have it. The chain going through the pulpit slot keep us up all night popping and squeaking. Never again. Then a storm came up with 40kts of wind. Thats a lot of stress on the windlass. The bridle with the hook is the bomb. I always learn the hard way first.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Just keep in mind those cheap chain hooks will twist and distort the chain under heavy load, and be more prone to falling off in other conditions. That is the reason the devil's claw hooks like the Capt Hook or the Quickline version, or my plate set up is what any good rigging shop will put together for an anchor snubber. Or why I'd personally just as soon use a rolling hitch as one of those.

One must also consider what the strength and chafe implications are of a mere single wrap of the line around a shackle, vs a properly spliced eye/thimble set up. So yeah it works for now and then but I'd be very wary over the long haul and after a few uses in any kind of snotty conditions.

Besides that, do note in Pascal's picture the depth of the hook, and one thing a lot of people forget or don't know about, and that is the deep lazy loop of chain behind the hook, which helps keep the angle to anchor down in modest conditions and adds more weight to overall system when things start picking up. Remember, this isn't just about taking load off the roller and pulpit, it is primarily about adding some stretch and catenary to the system.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Good points. This is why i use a SS shackle vs galvanized. It is very smooth and so far chaffing is not an issue, at least with reason. I think the rubbing of the chain loop against the lines as the boat swing is the primary wear spot

Twisting maybe a concern if you are on the hook for days and days. We are never in the same spot for more than a day, two at the most.

It was really howling last night, 30kts, one sailboat broke its mooring (never trust those poorly maintained Bahamian moorings) and it didnt twist maybe it s because I don't run the lines thru the pulpit but their the bow chocks outside the pulpit. I think the extra separation between the lines and chain prevents twisting
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

9. Re: "Capt Hook" chain snubber

Just got back from Ace Hardware store... Got the chain hook and shackle.... It works like a CHARM (or is that "like a charmer").... Raised and lowered the anchor and it grabs the chain easily and fast... And let's go with no problem..
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Release is important... As soon as the lines go slack mine drops off the chain so in a bind (like someone dragging) I don't have to worry, I can just leave it as it is and retrieve it later
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat