Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Cockpit Bait Freezer 1990 45 Conv.

Anyone know of an Easy, Affordable fix for the Port side cockpit Freezer on a 1990 45 Conv. It has a slow coolent leak in the freezer plate. A new 3 sided plate installed is $1100? Before I give the O.K. on the repair I was just wondering if anyone has any other Ideas or recomendations. Boat is in Fort Lauderdale. Thanks

Re: Cockpit Bait Freezer 1990 45 Conv.

that is a real tuff one..My experience as follows/// The freezer is good to have but the lines are molded in the glass and if they are leaking it gets more than a 1100 charge. You may look as i did at some marine catalogs and purchase the whole assembly. Compressor lines and plate it is not that hard. Do not use the old lines usually they are stoped up or bent and will not let the coolant flow. I did as you are getting ready to do i just replaced the plate and it still had problems. (worked but half way) Wound up purchasing the assembly all new. Mine was on a 45c 1986 i feel sure they are same. My bet is it is not just the plate... good luck

23 years you got your $$ worth out of it. You could shop the repair around since your in Ft Liquerdale but I dont think thats out of line if it includes freon and testing. I'd take a hard look at the compressor and condencer too unless you like pink squid.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Compressor and everything else is new and has been updated now its the lines in the plate. Mechanic checked and tested it, found leak and gave the $1100 quote to replace it it with stainless covered aluminum lines. Seems fair but just wanted to check around first.

I removed the freezer and tackle drawers from the one in my '79 43C, then insulated and sealed the entire interior and made an icechest/fishbox out of it.IMG_0027.jpgIMG_0029.jpgIMG_0034.jpg
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by capttonyf View Post
    Compressor and everything else is new and has been updated now its the lines in the plate. Mechanic checked and tested it, found leak and gave the $1100 quote to replace it it with stainless covered aluminum lines. Seems fair but just wanted to check around first.
    Stainless and aluminum are dissimilar metals and don't mix. I would want copper only With aluminum fins is ok.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Call Frigibar Industries in Miami and ask for Silvio. Give him the freezer plate dimensions, 3-sided, etc etc. as much information as you can so he can reccommend the correct plates. Great people to work with, competitive pricing and were the OEM of most Hatteras cockpit freezers.