Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 186 FirstFirst ... 20 60 68 69 70 71 72 80 120 170 ... LastLast

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

This is the most miserable summer I can remember. The heat's bad but the humidity makes it much, much worse. We don't seem to be having the daily thunderstorms that help knock some of the humidity out of the air. It feels like it just keeps building up day by day. Step outside of the tent, though, and even the hottest days so far feel kind of cool by comparison. I am seriously hating visiting the tent and have just skipped going more than once. I don't like losing momentum on the project, but a man's got limits and I'm reaching mine.

That said, we got a brief break from the heat wave and got busy doing the fiberglass work in the v-berth head. I never, ever want to do that again, but the hard part's done.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Fiberglassing the “Throne Room”

Cheers,
    Q

It'll get better, honest. Looks good, btw.

I agree with you Q. At this point I think it's more comfortable to work inside the boat during the winter
    because you can always wear warm clothes and install a heater. I have several projects that need to get
    done but I just can't handle the 90+ with high humidity that we are getting in NJ the last few years.
    Maybe my body has changed because I remember working on my boats over the last 65 years during the
    summer and not ever feeling uncomfortable like now. Perhaps you can pre build some of the things you
    are working on in an air conditioned work shop at home or even a garage with a large fan rather than
    in a tent. I hope you are being careful about chemical vapors doing paint and fiberglass in that tent of
    yours. If you're working alone it's even more risky because if you get heat exhaustion there will be
    no one to drag you into fresh air.

I don't wish to sound like an alarmist but many of us are concerned about you, even if it's for selfish
    motives like we want to see the finished product...lol

Walt

Thanks guys!

That fume extractor does a super job keeping air moving through the space we're working in, and I've got a couple of hose outlets installed around the tent. So fume buildup hasn't been a problem. It's just that freakin' humidity.

I'm from the west coast. We don't have humidity like this over there, even in the temperate rain forest of the PNW. I remember driving across the country back in 2003. It was typical summer weather all across the west -- hot and dry. But the day we crossed the Rockies, I still remember opening the door of the car in Nebraska and BAM! The humidity hit me like a skillet to the face, and it stayed that way all the way to Maryland. I lived in Asia, too, so I was familiar with dripping wet air, but I'll take an Oregon summer any day.

This weekend is slated to be 97° and humid, with some thunderstorms (natch). I'm not even going to bother going to the Roamer. We'll fire up the Commander and head up to Three Sisters on the Potomac...get some swimming in.

A good idea. As much as I love working on boats, there are some days when the weather just makes it impossible.

Bring a CD of the old Commander, on your trip: as in Commander Cody And The Lost Planet Airmen.....it won't make the weather any better, but it's great listening.

The Hot Rod Lincoln dude? Hmmm...haven't heard that stuff in ages.

As you well know, Jim, we've got three days of 100° heat and humidity coming this weekend, and the official decision has been made and Admiral certified: we're going out to play on our non-project boat, a 1968 Chris Craft Commander 42 this weekend. But when there was a lull between heat waves recently, we got the fairing work done in the V-berth head. It's turning out pretty nice.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Fairing the “Throne Room.”

Cheers,
    Q

Looks great. Hang in there, I think the weather is supposed to break by weeks' end.

Oh, there was a break alright...

Had an excellent day out on our 1968 Chris Craft Commander over the weekend...didn't even think about the Roamer. But the v-berth head (AKA the Throne Room) walls are faired, sanded, filleted, and primed. Boo-ya.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: “Throne Room” Fillets & Primer

Cheers,
    Q

Is that a 47 pacemaker next to you in the photo ?

It's a 42. It just looks like a 47 because of all the crap piled all over it.

The owner runs a boat repair business, mostly fiberglass repair, wooden boat maintenance, interior joinery, painting and varnish. His wife keeps repeating the old saying about a cobbler's kids having no shoes. lol