Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 186 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 108 158 ... LastLast

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

How are you doing with the weight versus original? Hard to tell from here, but is all the solid building you are doing going to keep her light enough?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    Hmmm...no comments on the bird shite welds, eh?
    Actually, although I am not qualified to judge, looks like rapid improvement and pretty good to me.

But truthfully, I would never criticize any of your efforts--it's just plain good work!

DAN

Welding is a lot of learn as you go and practice I do O.K with tig only because I did a lot of gas welding and brazing in my younger day. I have a freind that is a true artist with a tig so I don't even bother unless its a emergency.
    Keep going you will succeed as always.

Full insulated boat should be nice and comfortable

So when you get to your Home port how much time will that save you traveling to and from?
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Thanks, Dan!

Oscar, I think it'll come in pretty close to the factory weight, and probably lighter than it was when we started. The V-berth has about the same amount of plywood in it as it did originally, but I'm not building a big box for the forward head on the port side opposite the galley, so that's lighter. The salon is basically the original configuration. These boats came with 427 Ford gas engines and 871 Detroits, and the Cummins power I've got is on the lighter end of that range. The original genset was 1200lbs worth of Kohler, but my Panda runs less than 500. In the aft stateroom, I've got an aluminum fuel tank where the originals were galvanized steel. The walls and cabinets will be about the same, I suspect. The aft deck enclosure added weight over the original, but when we got the boat it had a nasty wooden enclosure. The aft enclosure might be heavier, but not by a lot.

Sounds like a plan. Press on!
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quentin, Where are you planning to splash your boat? Actually it almost seems like a crime to put such a gem into the water. You should plan to have a commissioning party of sorts for the occasion. I'll bring some beer. lol

Walt

He's been advised not to put it into the water, but to just build a shrine around it. He is still planning to put it in the water and ruin it, no doubt.

I think he should donate it to the Mariners Museum in Newport News, VA, and have them put a velvet rope around it and charge for tours. And he should start restoring another boat.

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    So when you get to your Home port how much time will that save you traveling to and from?
    Two hours per day, plus I'll be able to work on it during the week. It'll make a big difference in how fast the work progresses to the end. Plus, getting out of that freakin' tent will be a big inspiration.

Walt, in spite of Jim's protestations, I hope to splash later this year. If it actually happens, I'll definitely give notice here. I know there are a couple of guys who aren't far from Deale.

I'm off to the yard.

Cheers,
    Q

I was kidding, I'm actually very keen to see this boat on the water.

Oh, I think I've got your number. I get the boat done, splash it, have a Leavin' the Boatyard party, you slip me a micky and pull away in a new ride.