Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 186 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 152 ... LastLast

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

Used to race on a 54 ft. Tripp designed yawl. When going downwind we would hoist a mizzen staysail, which would give us a slight speed increase, at least enough to pass sloops which had (naturally) no mizzen mast. The sail's nickname? "Omar the Tenth Maker."
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Not only are you good at restoring older boats, but apparently you are also a master at building tents. Looks very good....good luck and thanks for keeping us posted.

Walt

BTW Omar the tentmaker had nothing on you........
    Thanks, Walt! Omar never had to deal with Snowmageddon! Failure has been a great instructor.

Speaking of which, it was almost exactly eight years ago that we really started digging into the project. Here's my post documenting what the missus and me did on New Years Day 2008. While on the one hand it's pretty wild to see how far its come, I can't help but wonder what the heck I was thinking. lol

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Aft Deck Enclosure Demolition — Enter the Chainsaw

Cheers,
    Q

Last edited by q240z; 12-31-2015 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    I can't help but wonder what the heck I was thinking. lol
    You weren't. But if you had, and then subsequently ran away this awesome project would have never happened.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Thing is, back then the price for boats was still sky-high from the bubble economy created by that social science experiment the Executive Branch did with the housing market. I still haven't crossed the asking price point for a comparably sized and equipped boat in good condition in 2008. Who knew back then how badly big boat prices would tank?

That said, Happy New Year!

And in keeping with an 8-year tradition, I'm headed to the boatyard today. At this point, I don't see anything that will stop me from splashing the boat this year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there won't be any asteroid strikes or alien invasions to throw me off schedule...again. But first, I've got to get the exterior sealed up, so today I'm going to take measurements for all of the new tinted glass I need. I also customized a data inlet to seal up another hole on the bow.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Making a Data Inlet

Cheers,
    Q

Before

After

For years I've been griping about the rickety steps going down into the ER of my Roamer. Since I found a long-lost stick of 1" aluminum tubing under the boat when I transformed the tent recently, I decided to make some new steps out of it. I fired up my Miller Trailblazer 280 welding machine and got to it. I'm a hobbyist welder at best and don't practice enough to develop a smooth welding hand, but once I got the machine settings sorted out the old spoolgun started making that spray transfer hissing sound that's very different than short-circuit welding on steel. It may not be professional-grade, but it's good enough for a set of steps.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Engine Room Steps

Cheers,
    Q

I know its not going to be seen much and I hate to be critical, but I think they would look better if the tread went all the way across the tubing from one side to the other. Another way to finish it off would be to screw a wood tread onto it from underneath. Just my two cents. You've made everything else look so professional, I just think this step deserves the same attention to detail.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

It's funny you mention that. I initially cut the plate to span the entire width but decided it'd look better (to my eye) with a gap on either side. Go figure.

See, Q, you've become a victim of your own high standards. Had to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    For years I've been griping about the rickety steps going down into the ER of my Roamer. Since I found a long-lost stick of 1" aluminum tubing under the boat when I transformed the tent recently, I decided to make some new steps out of it. I fired up my Miller Trailblazer 280 welding machine and got to it. I'm a hobbyist welder at best and don't practice enough to develop a smooth welding hand, but once I got the machine settings sorted out the old spoolgun started making that spray transfer hissing sound that's very different than short-circuit welding on steel. It may not be professional-grade, but it's good enough for a set of steps.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Engine Room Steps

Cheers,
    Q

See... that is just *awesome*. Having a 70' aluminum boat myself I've been intending to pick up a welding gun and learn to weld. So many things are welded together on my boat instead of using fasteners and it make sense. Heck, even my water heater is sitting in a fabricated frame that is welded in place. Any tips on getting started welding? I know it takes years to learn the trade, but I've always been able to pick up new skills quickly. One welder I talked to said to just buy a welding machine and watch youtube videos. I was planning on TIG, but those spool guns look sooooooo "easy" (and quick!).

Quote Originally Posted by scallywag View Post
    One welder I talked to said to just buy a welding machine and watch youtube videos. I was planning on TIG, but those spool guns look sooooooo "easy" (and quick!).
    Yup. Then go get some scraps and start playing with them. Don't forget to get a grinder, various files and rasps, and an airtool with some grinding tips.

Tip from me..... keep it as clean as you can. Dirt, even finger grease, affects everything.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay