Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 186 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 59 99 149 ... LastLast

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    I've already decided to pull mine. The Wolverine oil pan heaters are excellent, and the boatdiesel gang have plenty of bad things to say about the OEM air heaters--they can kill alternators, they're unreliable, etc. I was looking at mine and found that one of the activation solenoids has a small, heat-induced hole in the plastic housing near the contacts--a failure in progress. Once the engine's in, the whole shebang is coming out.
    Just clean all the connections add some conductor lube then add a switch and pick when and if you want them on, Tony has the directions of adding the switch and its easy did it on mine works great.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

It won't hurt. With the Wolverine heaters, you don't need the air intake heaters, I agree, plus the engines will stay nice and dry all the time. I have a pair of Wolverine heaters on my home diesel genset also- one on the oil pan, one on the fuel tank. Nice and toasty. And on my boat engines.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    It won't hurt. With the Wolverine heaters, you don't need the air intake heaters, I agree, plus the engines will stay nice and dry all the time. I have a pair of Wolverine heaters on my home diesel genset also- one on the oil pan, one on the fuel tank. Nice and toasty. And on my boat engines.
    You need them if you forgot to have the oil heaters on and show up on a cold morning

Its happened to me so why take them off with the switch you have the choice.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

I had to remove the solenoid mounting plate bolts when installing the engines because otherwise I would have had to cut out a big section of my stringer for clearance. So I was already looking at modifying the mounting plate or relocating the solenoids. I was planning on converting it to manual, but seeing that cooked solenoid changed my mind. Putting lots of work into a marginally necessary system that has parts that die within 400 hours...I'm not seeing the bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    I had to remove the solenoid mounting plate bolts when installing the engines because otherwise I would have had to cut out a big section of my stringer for clearance. So I was already looking at modifying the mounting plate or relocating the solenoids. I was planning on converting it to manual, but seeing that cooked solenoid changed my mind. Putting lots of work into a marginally necessary system that has parts that die within 400 hours...I'm not seeing the bang for the buck.
    Are you talking a starter solenoid? How does one manualize that?

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Are you talking a starter solenoid? How does one manualize that?
    For the Intake Air preheaters
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    For the Intake Air preheaters
    Aaaah.

Can I get an oooooh to go with that aaaaaaah?

The port engine is installed! It's amazing how smoothly things go the second time around, when you've got all of the tools and supplies, you know what modifications to expect, and you've got the right parts to replace the wrong parts that certain manufacturers send out with very expensive upgrade kits. booya

1969 Chris Craft Roamer Refit: Installing the Port Engine III

Cheers,
    Q

And Bob's your uncle. I am pulling the shafts out of my boat this winter and sending them off to be trued, and I think putting in new cutlass bearings. I'll be calling to hire you to line everything up when we put it all back together and get her in the water.......

Hire? No way! But you're welcome to my tools and armchair expertise!

That said...Motion Windows, the guys who built my bow seat and helm windshields, responded to my complaint that they once again made 2/3 of the frames too big. Their response alternated between being snarky, insulting, unprofessional, and demonstrably untrue. What's really unfortunate is that their product concept is outstanding--it really is the best vehicle window design on the market. But execution is important. They can have the best design, outstanding welds, and super powder coating, but when they make 70% of the windows on both of my orders too big, it goes from outstanding to epic fail. This is extremely frustrating.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Motion Windows’ Response (long rant)

Cheers,
    Q