Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 186 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 97 147 ... LastLast

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

Thanks, Jim.

The aft head is as far as it will get this year. Once the salon and steps are done, I've got to wrap up the port engine installation, get the mufflers, fuel system, and electrical installed (hopefully before Christmas). Once the engine is in place, I can get the gantry out of there and set up the salon as a wood shop again. But I've also got to rebuild the tent, since it was pretty badly damaged by the explosion back in July. There's no way it'll survive a snow storm. I've also got to get windows and portlights installed, which means I've got to cut and install more wall panels in the aft stateroom and head.

Anyway, there's an order of operations, but the aft head's a bit down the list.

Speaking of the engine install, though, I'm doing my homework on electrical connections since I want to use the super cool OE Chris Craft gauges with these Cummins engines. Any idea what the R post does on 1996 Cummins alternators? The schematic I've got, which is supposed to cover the 450 Diamond series, doesn't include an alternator option with this post.

DSCF7832.JPG

Cheers,
    Q

No, I don't know. But I can think of two ways to find out: first is call Tony Athens at Seaboard Marine in CA, who are a Cummins dealer and have a lot of very useful upgrades for these engines. The second is to call Andy Fegley at Yacht Electronics Systems in Annapolis and ask him about it. They are extremely good at all marine wiring jobs; they can figure this out. I'd start with Tony, who will have information on those engines via their serial numbers.

Without knowing the part number of the alternator it is difficult to be sure, but Delco Remy has some documentation online that describes the "R terminal". Apparently this is an output that is used for tachs etc..

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...SJiKPI2uG3f4jw
    Regards
    Dan

Excellent!

I posted the question on boatdiesel, but nobody knew and Tony didn't respond. When they test ran the engines for me back when I bought them, the Cummins panels registered RPM. Since I haven't touched the wiring, I figured the loom is already hooked up to a sender for the tach somewhere on the engine. It didn't occur to me there might be another tach sender on the alternator.

Thanks!

Right, there is probably a tach pickup screwed into the bell housing which looks at the flywheel teeth going around. Mine are set up that way. More accurate than a tach output from the alternator, I would think, too. Maybe the "R" stands for revolutions/min.

Right. Looking over the Cummins schematic, I see the other pickup. It was a bit confusing in the alternator section, since it shows three possibilities--Bosche, CAV, and Delco--but none of them matched what's on my engine. I'm guessing this schematic is for the later engines.

I noticed that Tony over at BD is a fan of removing all of the air heater gear. There are lots of threads indicating they're troublesome and eat alternators. I'm installing pan heaters, but I think I'll leave the original stuff in place and just remove the fuse for the air heater.

In other news, since we've been doing stain and clear in the salon, it made sense to do something about the steps. They were looking seriously ratty, so I was prepared to have to make a new set with the African mahogany I've got in stock. But after sanding, destapling, filling, and staining, it looks like the old set will turn out pretty nice.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Making the Salon Steps Pretty

Cheers,
    Q

Before

After

After getting all of the staples out of the aft stateroom steps and applying stain, I put a couple of heavy coats of West System epoxy and 207 clear hardener on. Considering what I started with, I think it turned out pretty good.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Making the Aft Stateroom Steps Pretty

Cheers
    Q

Before

After

There's one board in the galley that I thought was worth highlighting. It went from pretty ugly to just plain pretty.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: A Mahogany Board Gets Pretty

Cheers,
    Q

Before

After
    Last edited by q240z; 11-06-2015 at 08:37 AM.

I wrapped up some more interior panels up in the galley, but only had time to install one before things changed and I've got to switch gears. Motion Windows tells me my helm station windshields are on the way, so I've got to get the windshield frame installed. Anyway, it's nice to get one more thing done.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer Refit: New Galley Plywood Panels

Cheers,
    Q

Rotten plywood in 2007

New insulated plywood in 2015

You DO plan to keep that beautiful white upholstery, I assume. right?