Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 186 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 94 144 ... LastLast

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

Holy buckets! You're either single, or married to a saint! What an amazing undertaking.

Thanks, eze2bme!

Sweet red, I am actually married to a saint...very fortunate, indeed.

After the epoxy cured, we got busy with carbide saws and shaped the FRP to the hardtop. Gotta love fiberglass work. Note to self: no matter how itchy the FRP dust can be, DO NOT use the missus' loofa sponge to scrub it out of your pores. The resulting reaction from the better half is not good. Even saints have their limits.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: The Helm Station Windshield III

Cheers,
    Q

Before we spray shiny Awl Grip Matterhorn white on the hard top (again), we decided to get the windshield frame painted first. It turned out surprisingly nice, especially considering how nasty and dusty the tent is inside from all of the fiberglass and fairing work we've been doing.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Sparkly Shiny Helm Windshield Frame

Cheers,
    Q

Over the weekend, we got the Matterhorn White Awlcraft 2000 sprayed on the helm hard top and cabin top. It's been 16 months, but that finally gets me caught up to where I was before the thieves stole my stuff back in May 2014. From now on, it's all progress toward (hopefully) splashing in 2016.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Shiny Matterhorn White on the Hard Top (again)

Cheers
    Q

I'm shifting gears back down to the aft stateroom head, where I left the walls fiberglassed and faired a few months back. Before I install the ceiling panels and start the priming and painting in there, I needed to make the moldings and corner piece for the door opening. The parts all turned out pretty darned nice (pats self on back).

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Moldings for the Aft Stateroom Head

Cheers,
    Q

You do amazing work, wish I was that talented.
    I'm an architect and can draw the details all day long but making them is another thing. Congrats.

Thanks, eze2bme!

I'll tell you, I spend a ridiculous amount of time thinking about how I'm going to do some of this stuff. And every time I grab another big piece of mahogany, I'm pretty nervous when I fire up the machine to make the cuts. I envy the real craftsmen who just walk up, size up the job, and get 'er done.

Cheers,
    Q

I think you're selling yourself a bit short. You know "measure twice, cut once?" I see people measure three and four times. And THEN cut once. I can't wait to see your boat when she's done.

Thanks, Jim. The boat'd get done faster if I had more help.

I installed the corner piece/door pocket that I made last week, but I did it in kind of a slick way that allows me to hide the wiring for the aft head light switch in a better way than what Chris Craft did originally. But I had to call it a short weekend when the muffler on my beater boatyard truck bounced off while I was driving back from the yard! I knew the exhaust system had a leak or two, but didn't pay much attention to it until I saw the muffler in my side mirror! I ended up spending an afternoon crawling around under my old Ford with a grinder and MIG gun, but got the new muffler and pipe installed. The truck only has to last until the boat launches, which was supposed to be last year (until I got robbed) and then this year (until the boat next door exploded). This thing's on borrowed time! Hopefully, with the new muffler it'll hold together until next summer.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Wiring the Aft Head Lights

Cheers,
    Q

That muffler, that would have buffed out no problem, what a shocking waste of funds to replace it. For shame.