Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 186 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 93 143 ... LastLast

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

Thanks. I ended up just painting it, it came out just fine. Then the Northstar that I had it made to fit on the boat- I hooked it up and tried it out and the display isn't bright enough to see in the sun. So I reinstalled the old one. I have a new in box Northstar 6100i with 12" display that I will try when the weather gets a little cooler... until then I will use what I have.

I think I've been spending too much time in the proximity of Quentin.....

Bad luck is contagious!!!

Fortunately, the DriveSavers showed up and solved the problem I had with vibration isolator bolt clearance. I also got the vibration isolator spacers done and installed, just requiring primer and paint.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Cummins Engine Install – DriveSavers & Spacers

Cheers,
    Q

I ended up having to cut up the front motor mount and raise the vibration isolator landing pads by 1-1/8". That allowed me to put the locknuts back on and still have enough adjustment to drop the front of the engine and line up the couplers. I also had to cut off a bit more of the transverse frame under the engine oil pan. The gantry is holding up to repeated lifts and repositioning of the engine. That may just be the slickest tool I've ever made.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Cummins Engine Install – Shaft Alignment and Front Engine Mount

Cheers,
    Q

I got the engine installed in its final resting place over the weekend. Shaft alignment...check. Clearance to frames and stringers...check. Everything sanded and epoxy coated...check. But then I had a minor hang up with some of the hardware that came with the prop shaft vibration isolator/rubber donut. It's not a huge deal, but it did stop me just a bit short of being completely done with this step of the project.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Cummins Engine Install — Coating the Stringers & Final Fit

Cheers
    Q

With one engine in, I shifted gears and took advantage of some relatively cool weather we've had to get some repairs started on the hard top. Back in May 2014, when the tent was burglarized, the thieves took off with a bunch of original Chris Craft parts that were on the aft deck and behind the tent. Included in that were the extruded aluminum drip rail that went around the hard top. After spending a lot of time looking at options, I decided the best approach was to break open the new paint and fiberglass over the joint that the drip rail would normally cover. It's itchy work, but it's looking like it will work out OK.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: The Aft Deck Hard Top (again)

Cheers,
    Q

More progress...I do love fillets.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Fillets On The Hard Top

Cheers,
    Q

Quentin,

Nice work as usual!

Did you finish your interior door hardware refurbishment? Since you are so good with the camera I thought to request a photo :-)

Thanks,
    DAN

Hi Dan, and thanks for the compliment!

I'm pretty much done polishing chrome. There are 6~7 hinges and then that part's a wrap. A few of the pieces have to go off to the chrome shop, too. But I haven't installed anything yet. I still need to figure out the screw order. That'll be a good project this winter, since all of the doors are at the house rather than the boat. Do you want a picture of a pile of polished parts, or maybe hold off until they're installed?

Cheers,
    Q

Before I can prime and paint the hard top, I need to square away the windshield frame mess. We made good progress on that front recently. We had to break open the paint and do more fiberglass work, but it looks like we finally got 100% contact along the top and bottom mating surfaces.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: The Helm Station Windshield Frame

Cheers,
    Q

Impressive work but not surprising - admire your abilities and determination!
    Keep up the great work and pics!!