Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 186 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 90 140 ... LastLast

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

I got the V-berth ready for the spray foam insulation. But the job was complicated by yet another surprising discovery about work I had a contractor do a couple of years ago.

I tell ya, either I have the worst possible luck/skill when it comes to contractors, or there's a serious shortfall of quality boat contractors around here. Then again, the Boatamalan and his crew have been pretty darned good at everything they've done, and he regularly grouses about how there's a revolving door at Weaver Boatworks for new guys who come in, demonstrate they don't have what it takes, and then quit hours or days after they're hired.

Anyway, the v-berth is ready for foam. Booyah.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Prepping the V-berth for Foam Insulation

Cheers,
    Q

It's been a while since I posted. First, the painter/fiberglass pro I've got helping me on the boat got sick and was in the hospital. Then my computer died, and it's taken a while to get that sorted out. And then...well...the pic below sort of tells the tale. That big white thing next to the world's largest hand grenade is Tent Model X. So I'm not splashing in 2015, but all's not lost. It's just another kick in the teeth in a long string of kicks in the teeth.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Not Splashing in 2015

crikey

Cheers,
    Q

That is awful! Check the boat over carefully. The blast can cause hidden problems. [ I am sure you know that]

I hate being in yards for this reason. I try to get blocked away from where work is going on.

Good luck, you are due.

Did they ever find out who stole your tools?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Thanks, guys.

No, the cops didn't bother even interviewing the person I'm pretty sure was a party to the theft. I gave them a name and location...no follow up.

I got some more news today--the boat owner had no insurance. He was going to have a survey on Friday, the day after the explosion. He'd only owned the boat for a month, but it was abandoned before that. Which means the marina owner put my boat next to that uninsured boat KNOWING it was uninsured. This marine owner has also been writing the surveys for the boat (he's NAMS, SAMS, ABYC etc certified), so he knows the delta between what I'm into it and what he can legitimately call market value in its current condition. Which has me wondering what the heck he was thinking putting my Roamer next to an uninsured grenade???

And it gets worse--the marina owner recommended PetroScrub to the boat owner. The same marina owner who gets insurance info from everybody who sets foot on the property (except for abandoned boats, of course). But for some reason, he can't find the copy he took of PetroScrub's insurance info.

Geesh.

I'm still trying to track down the company that was responsible for the boat explosion. The owner isn't taking my calls or responding to messages.

In other news, I got my spray foam insulation done a while back. Check it out!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Spray Foam Insulation

Cheers,
    Q

What brand of foam did you use?
    Last edited by sandspur1966; 07-22-2015 at 10:44 PM.
    Shawn
    58 MY

I went with Tiger Foam fast rise closed cell.

Nice. You're getting there. Imagine how happy you'll be when you are out of that yard. It hasn't exactly been the luckiest place for you.

Thanks, Jim. Yeah...it's been rough. With the theft last year, I am certain it involved a kid and his dad who got kicked out of their apartment and were given permission to stay aboard their uncle's boat at the marina. That permission came from the marina owner. Then there's the decision to put my boat out in purgatory row next to a boat that was abandoned and uninsured. Again, the marina owner's decision. Then the uninsured boat blew up, and it turns out the marina owner had recommended the company that was cleaning the tanks AND he didn't get their insurance info, which may not even exist since the company president has gone AWOL. Between the lost time, deductibles, and depreciation, this marina has cost me a pretty penny over the last 14 months.

Enough grumbling, though, because I got some plywood installed in the galley. I've been anxious to see how my insulation plan would work out. Turns out it's very time consuming. Hopefully, it will be worth it in the end.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: 1st Galley Plywood Install

Cheers,
    Q