Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 186 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 83 133 ... LastLast

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

Sky, as I recall his exhausts are now through the sides of the hull in the engine room and not through the transom.

Quote Originally Posted by eze2bme View Post
    Sky, as I recall his exhausts are now through the sides of the hull in the engine room and not through the transom.
    I think you are correct. I remember that now too.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Exactly. The aluminum tubes were rotten, and that was after only 15 years and 800hrs of use. They also took up lots of room in the aft cabin. So I opted for side exhaust. I'll use the holes that remain in the aft ER bulkhead as a wire and water line chase.

It's nice to be back into full stride on my Roamer project. Granted, since I can only work weekends and I waste two hours of every working day driving to and from the boatyard, full stride isn't as fast as I'd like. But still, progress is happening and parts that have been in the works for a while are finally coming together.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing Aft Stateroom Wall I

Cheers,
    Q

Very nicely done! what do you use to fill the pocket screw holes? Do you put a wood plug in there and cut it off?

I noted in the article that, since they're almost completely out of sight, I haven't decided whether to just coat the pocket holes with epoxy to seal the grain or do something else. I could fill them with wood flour-thickened epoxy or, if I want to get fancy, buy some 3/8 dowel and make plugs. You can buy bags of them, but I haven't found any in mahogany. I could also buy a pocket hole plug cutter and make them from scrap pieces. There are lots of options...too many, in fact.

Great...now you've got me thinking about what to do. aarrgh!

How about a very thin strip of mahogany just tall enough to cover the pocket holes, glued and/or pin-nailed to the bottom of the panel. Sort of like a very thin baseboard.
    Searching...
    Daytona Beach, FL

I suppose that would work, too, though I'd probably still use epoxy to seal the grain in the pockets themselves.

Looks great! I think keeping anything that needs access later on that should be removable not to screw in permanent with nails & glue. We had that in the master head sink had to replace the faucet it was a bear of a job.

No doubt, maintenance access is something to keep in mind. But the work I'm doing now is all on the bulkheads and major walls. The washer and dryer closet opening is sized such that the equipment can come out if need be, but otherwise none of these should need removing until the next major refit 50 years from now.