Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 186 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 79 129 ... LastLast

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

Of course if the boat has stabs it's a four fin alignment required to prevent crabbing.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

No stabs on this boat!

The theft that happened back in May forced me to rethink some things. Case in point: the helm windshield. After all that work to get 'em ready to paint, the thieves punted me back to the drawing board.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Demise of the Evil Helm Windshield Frames

Cheers,
    Q

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Ok. You did it all wrong! How's that?

Seriously, I think you would want something to load them slightly. If not, you will probably get some slight shaking back and forth that will eventually start to wear your bearings and linkage bushings.

I don't think it matters much whether you toe in our out, but you need some constant side load to hold them there.
    Sky is right, the tradition is to toe them in a bit so the side load reduces shaking in the prop wash.

Never heard of toeing out but thinking on it not sure I see a difference other than the pull or push pressure the difference would put on the tie bar.
    Shawn
    58 MY

I'll give a turn on the tie rod, then, to toe them in a bit. Thanks!

In other news, things are still chugging along on the Roamer. I've been doing a lot of backgroundy stuff that doesn't really warrant writing articles just yet. Here's a couple of things, though:

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: The New Windshield Frames and
    1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: (previously) Hateful Portlights and Bow Hatch Out and Back from the Paint Shop

Cheers,
    Q

I knocked out a couple more little jobs on the honey-do list. Getting all of the holes in the exterior covered and filled is my priority over the next half-year or so. The major support for the spine of my tent runs up through the bow deck hatch hole, so that hole won't get filled with the hatch just yet. But I reassembled the hatch itself (and made a few improvements over the original), so it'll be ready to install come spring 2015.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Reassembling the Bow Hatch
    1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing the Transom Steps

Cheers,
    Q

Quote Originally Posted by sandspur1966 View Post
    Sky is right, the tradition is to toe them in a bit so the side load reduces shaking in the prop wash.

Never heard of toeing out but thinking on it not sure I see a difference other than the pull or push pressure the difference would put on the tie bar.
    I can't vouch for the veracity, but once read that towing out (aft end of the rudders closer together than the leading edge) puts more water pressure under the stern and there fore increases lift like a trim tab. Intuitively this seems correct but how big is the effect??

Bobk

Glad to see you are moving ahead, Quentin. If fuel prices keep going down I'm going to buy you some diesel. Once you have tanks to put it in.

Thanks, Jim!
    It's funny you mentioned diesel. The tanks are in, but I need to relocate the inlets so I haven't filled them yet. With fuel prices dropping, I've got another incentive to get the mechanical stuff done quickly.
    But for whatever reason, diesel doesn't seem to be dropping to the same degree as gas. After the new year, I plan to start schlepping gas cans to my Commander.

Diesel at under $3/gal in miami. That's with road and sales tax.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.