Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 186 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 122 ... LastLast

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

Nice. It IS mostly aluminum powder, btw.

For the price, I could have bought a stick of angle and just run a few inches through the bandsaw, with most of a stick of angle left over.
    lol

Q,
    Yours is a most impressive project. I have enjoyed and learned from following it. In addition your blog is very well done.

Thanks also for the tip on your blog regarding the Eureka zone track saw system. I bought one, and just started using it to cut plywood too large to handle on the table saw. I like it.

Look forward to your next update.
    Last edited by Vincentc; 05-06-2014 at 09:18 AM.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Thanks, Vincent!

That track saw is pretty awesome. Even with just the tracks and clamps, you can rip full-length sheets...no need for a panel saw. And the precision of the cuts is a big plus. Why cut then sand to the line if you can cut right on top (or to either side of) the line?

Back when I got the Chris Craft Commander 42 that we use while the Roamer project continues, I had to do some reconfiguring in the aft stateroom. Adding to the challenge, I brought the the Commander around from Baltimore and had it anchored out in the Washington Channel when I was doing the work. With the track saw...no problemo.

I'm getting close to having all of the parts I need to install the steering and the engines. I'm guessing the prep work involved takes a lot more time than the actual itself will. While that's been going on, I've had to think about installing chrome pieces, which requires a special tool to do it right (on a metal boat, anyway). Even though you might think chrome is a purely cosmetic thing you do at the end of the job, keeping out rain water will hopefully become very important later this year. Chrome and stainless parts fill many holes on the topsides of this boat.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Classic Chrome Bits & Pieces

Cheers,
    Q

You've got to install that ashtray. Classic!
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    You've got to install that ashtray. Classic!
    Have to Second Sky even though I Hate cigarettes !

Like the fact you did shine around the base's lot more work that many don't do!
    First Class
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

While you are on the subject of installing hardware.
    I like and recommend butyl tape for bedding items.
    It works well and is clean and easy to use.
    see:
    http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/butyl_tape
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Thanks guys!

Thinking back on it, I'm really surprised the ashtray and some other period pieces, stainless rub rails etc weren't liberated while she was on the hard. The ashtray will be spendy to rechrome, but what a classic, eh? I'll think of it as art rather than what it was made for.

Butyl tape...I know some people like it, but I'm a bit concerned about using it. Some of the worst corrosion on the boat was under the toe rail, which was bedded in 1960's fiber-reinforced butyl. Water got under it and made a mess of things. Is the new stuff better than the old?

The title of this one pretty much says it all: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: BURGLERIZED!!!

Q