Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 181 of 186 FirstFirst ... 81 131 171 179 180 181 182 183 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 1855

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

That might work. Do they have a way to rig it to allow for the tide variation?

It's a floating dock, so adding a 4' section shouldn't be that difficult, I would think.

While things mostly went well on our drive to the new marina, there was a problem with a diesel leak I discovered while shutting down at my new home port. It ended up being a simple fix (loose injector nut) but it's another example of what appears to be shoddy workmanship by guys other than me who touched the engines/boat. I understand maximizing profit, but have some pride...if you loosen a starter bolt or injection nut for a good reason, tighten the thing up when you're done, ferchrissakes!

Anyway, it wasn't a perfect transit to our home port, but as engine problems go for a boat that hadn't moved under its own power since the 1980s, I figure this is pretty much a quibble.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Home Port Trip Follow-up

Cheers,
    Q

While it's a shame that the mechanic, or whoever, was careless, I'm relived it wasn't something more complicated. Also that you are finally at your home port and can easily get to your boat, which was not the case before. I'm also very interested to see the interior refit progress, as the quality of your millwork is very good indeed.

Thanks Jim!

Yeah, as mechanical issues go after a massive repower/refit like this, I count myself lucky that the slightly loose injector nut was the biggest problem to pop up.

There's a lot of interior stuff I did that I didn't post about yet. After all the exciting posts involved in finally launching the boat and transiting to my new home port, the rest of the refit will probably seem mundane. lol

Since the refit began, mud dauber nests have been a persistent problem. I reckon I could fill a 5-gallon bucket with all of the mud nests I've removed over the years. A favorite point of entry has been the engine room air intake gills on the sides of the hull. I found some 304 stainless wire mesh with eight wires per inch (so ~1/8" square gaps between the wires) that will stop the bugs from entering through the gills without substantially restricting air flow. I used some leftover Bostik 70-08A windshield adhesive because that stuff bonds so well. The engine room is now mud dauber-proof.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Mud Dauber Screens

Cheers,
    Q

Back to mundane refit stuff, I replaced a rotten salon cabinet panel back in 2015 but wanted a better appearance for the inner cabinet than what Chris Craft did. The original mahogany panels were gorgeous, and so were the cabinet doors. But when you opened the cabinets, the interiors were painted flat white or you just saw the bitumastic-coated hull. I made a proper cabinet box using varnished mahogany. It looks a lot better than the original approach.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Salon Cabinet Install

Cheers,
    Q

Before

After

Quentin

I just have to say Congrats and Bravo for getting her wet again and looking better than new. Sure shes not done yet but hell are they ever done. I just did my galley this spring after thinking about it for way to many years and its still only 80%
    I am also happy to hear its close to home I can't imagine that commute you did for years I am 25 miles from mine and often think about wintering closer to home. I am in a private club and can do pretty much anything I want so I put up with the drive but dam you had to really commute. So enjoy the extra time to work on her instead of being in the car and try to get some time out on the water they don't have to be 100% to enjoy them

Heres to many years of enjoyment....

Dan
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Thanks Dan!

We're finally getting a break from the nasty east coast super-humid summer this weekend, so the missus and I plan to take the boat out for a blast upriver.

You're right about how much better it is with the boat being close. And being out of the tent is so very nice, though the resident bird populations seem to have a vindictive streak in them. I get the impression they intentionally strafe my boat because it's the shiniest one in the marina! lol

Maybe you should put those plastic owls on your Xmas list...

The owls don't work on the resident tern population. I think I'm going to rig up the IR sensors from the old tent and use them to control impact rotor sprinkler heads I'll put on the pilings around the boat and aimed at the deck and cabin top. IF the sensors can pick up something as small as a tern, the sudden noise and water blast should discourage them.

One thing I've been plodding away on for the last two years is the salon sleeper sofa, which Chris Craft called a settee in the sales brochures. The missus liked the original design, and the missus gets what the missus likes. The original panels had rot in them, but they're good enough to use as pattern and to help me remember how it was originally constructed. It's a complex piece of furniture, but I've got a plan and this is a good first step.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Remaking the Salon Settee

Cheers,
    Q

Before

Step 1