Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 173 of 186 FirstFirst ... 73 123 163 171 172 173 174 175 183 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 1855

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

The marina manager told me they can't splash me on Friday but Monday is open. So after 4,998 days on the hard in Deale, MD, the boat's finally going back in the water.

There are a few minor spots on the topsides where rain can still get inside the boat. I'll be taking care of those areas over the next week or so, but one of them is already done: the gap around the transom door now has Frost King weather seals. It was a cheap and easy off-the-shelf solution and doesn't look bad at all.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Transom Door Seal

Cheers,
    Q

Before

After

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    I've done bow in and stern in and find they've both got their pros and cons depending on the marina. But as I mentioned, all of the marinas in my area have very short finger piers, so you have to back into the slips. The slip I'll use in the current marina has 12' finger piers, and they taper down to the width of the piling at the end, so there's no room for steps. The ones in my soon-to-be home port are only 6'! If I parked bow-in there, I'd have to scale my bow railing and need a very tall staircase for boarding.
    Good old Maryland marinas and short finger piers. They can be a trip.

Now that you mention it...I never have seen stubby finger piers anywhere other than Maryland.

The surveyor just informed me that he won't have his report done until the weekend. It was supposed to be in my inbox yesterday. That almost certainly throws the launch back to later next week instead of Monday. I really hate having to rely on others to do the things they say they'll do when they say they'll do it.

That said, the tent is coming down this weekend. Since the tent structure is also a scaffolding all the way around the boat, I'd like to get the mahogany handrails installed while the catwalk is still there. I first started polishing the stainless stanchion pipes for the handrails in 2016. I did few more in 2019, and polished all the rest, including the big curvy bow rails, earlier this year. They really polished up nicely and are much shinier than OEM.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Polishing More Side Deck Stanchions and Bow Railing

Cheers,
    Q

Before

After

With all the handrail stanchions polished, I next set to work installing them and the mahogany handrail. It wasn't a pre-splash priority, but it's a lot easier to install these things with the catwalk scaffolding that goes around the boat now than it would be after this weekend, when I plan to disassemble the tent. I'm running into a couple of challenges, but still think I can get the handrail installed before the tent comes down.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing Side Deck Handrails

Cheers,
    Q

Before (circa 2008)

After (circa yesterday)

Things are falling into place very rapidly. Had a long day at the boatyard today and got my mahogany handrails installed. I also peeled off the top of the tent and got most of the roof frames down. Tomorrow the rest of the tent comes down. If anybody is in the Deale, MD area and has “dismantle massive shrinkwrap tent’ on your bucket list, this is a golden opportunity. lol

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing Mahogany Handrails

Cheers,
    Q

You will need to end this epic thread and start a new one called 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 adventures. Nice job.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Thanks! But the refit's not done yet, so this thread still has legs. I'm just at the point where I can get it out of the tent, splash it, and drive away. There's still lots of work to do. But I'll be able to also enjoy it as a boat while the work gets done. Much better than being a tent cave troll slaving away in a lousy environment. lol

I did a full walk-through yesterday in response to some requests for a video.

I think I have no videography skills, but enjoy if you can! lol

I'm off to the boatyard.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Walk-Through Video

Cheers,
    Q

Looks great. I can’t imagine the heat and working conditions in that tent all these years. Been a tough road thanks for bringing us all along on the trip. It looks more like it should be in a museum.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Great days ahead for you! Congrats. Followed this thread for years.The biggest challenge I had after launch was transitioning from constant work to relaxing. I am always up and about with notion of getting something done. As the list winds down, finding it tough to sit still. Wife gets on my ass for anchoring out and then disappearing somewhere for hours. Hope the splash goes well!!