Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 169 of 186 FirstFirst ... 69 119 159 167 168 169 170 171 179 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 1855

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

You can never have too many boats, Jim! lol

I'm still clearing out pictures from my camera's memory card of stuff I did a while back. Today's post covers final installation of the salon entry door.

A surprising challenge popped up when I tried to get new keys made for the original Schlage lockset. None of the brick and mortar "locksmiths" in my area have the ability to cut a new key without an existing one to copy. I finally found a retired hippy locksmith who hand-filed a key in about 15 minutes in the back of his old work van. Anyway, compared to what I started with, I think this looks terrific.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Wrapping Up the Salon Entry Door

Cheers,
    Q

Before

After

I hope you enjoy using it as much as you have enjoyed the rebuild. You do excellent work and definitely need to experience the thrill of using her!

X2 to that!

Thanks! I'm looking forward to splashing it in a few months.

Way back when the Boatamalan paint crew was priming my hull, they oversprayed the helm dashboard. I'd already removed the gauges and chrome switch knobs, but the black plastic switch plate that runs along the bottom of the dash from port to starboard ignition switches got dusted with primer. The painter decided to soak it in lacquer thinner to soften the paint...which it did...but it also melted the plastic into a ball.

A few months ago I took very careful measurements (4 times!) between all the switches and the space the plate has to fit into, then I used Sketchup to make a 2D model. After being told by lots of plastic engraving shops that they couldn't make the plate, Los Vegas Custom Engraving took the job. They turned my 2D model into a CAD file and made the part with their laser CNC engraver. I had to do a bit of shaving here and there, but that's to be expected since I'm pretty sure Chris Craft hand-drilled the switch holes...the CAD file was too precise.

With the plate installed, I reinstalled all of the original lights and switch nuts and knobs that I had rechromed back in 2013. I polished the push button switches for the horn and alarms, which turned out surprisingly good. The ignition switches were toast, so I got new ones.

For the finishing touch, I installed medallion stickers with Chris Craft logos on the Morse Control throttle and shift levers. HOF members Seven and drburke made a batch of them and are selling similar medallions for Hatteras and Bertram IIRC on ebay. They look really good

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Wrapping Up the Helm Dashboard

Cheers,
    Q

Before

After

Throttle lever medallion
    Last edited by q240z; 01-21-2023 at 08:27 AM.

Simpley bahyooteeful!
    Regards
    Dan

Thanks Q. Here are a few photos to remind members what they look like.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Seven, I have to say that those are soooo much better than the originals, which were just flat stickers. You guys did a great thing making these. It's a minuscule detail on a 46' boat, but they just look so very nice.
    Thx!

What a beautiful job.

You hardly ever see this kind of work on boats, especially big ones like the 46 Roamer. There are plenty of auto restoration shops that charge a mint and don't turn out work nearly as meticulous as what you're doing here.

Thanks Jim! On the flipside, if I wasn't being so careful I'd probably have had the boat in the water years ago! lol

Possibly. But all the systems will be new, so when she goes in, you'll have a (hopefully short) period of sorting things out and then get to do a lot of boating. In between signing autographs.