Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 160 of 186 FirstFirst ... 60 110 150 158 159 160 161 162 170 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,600 of 1855

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    You could not tell it was running.

Does yours have a water coil around the generator end? I've read that some do, but from what I could see of yours in the photos, I didn't think so.
    Lets look at this; synchronous aluminum generator end, raw water cooled case., spinning at 3600 RPM.
    Somewhere close by a big box full of beer can sized capacitors.
    Naw, I'm sure not one of those..
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 09-08-2022 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Lets look at this; synchronous aluminum generator end, raw water cooled case., spinning at 3600 RPM.
    Somewhere close by a big box full of beer can sized capacitors.
    Naw, I'm sure not one of those..
    That sounds like a fascinating scenario.

But my FP genset is asynchronous, antifreeze-cooled engine and generator case. Oh, and the capacitors are in a completely separate stainless steel case that I'll mount on the bulkhead a short distance from the genset.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    You could not tell it was running.

Does yours have a water coil around the generator end? I've read that some do, but from what I could see of yours in the photos, I didn't think so.
    As I understand it, very early (late 80s-early 90s) Pandas had raw water cooled generator heads, but they went to antifreeze cooling before long. And, IIRC, those were really tiny...3 to maybe 5kw. They haven't made them in a long time, and by all accounts that particular model deserved the bad reputation it quickly got.

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    That sounds like a fascinating scenario.

But my FP genset is asynchronous, antifreeze-cooled engine and generator case. Oh, and the capacitors are in a completely separate stainless steel case that I'll mount on the bulkhead a short distance from the genset.
    I recall the Cap box was remote. it was an older 10Kw.
    I was the only sucker the owner could call to work on it.

Good luck on yours.

Your work looks most excellent. Have fun.

Thanks Captain Ralph!

I'm curious--what was the problem with the Panda you mentioned? As I mentioned in a recent blog, all the Panda techs' commentary I've read in several forums suggests that Panda problems are almost always shoddy installer problems. The only OEM problems I've heard about are Teutonic over-engineering, with too many safety sensors, any one of which can shut down the whole genset.

As for mine, things are looking very good regarding de-tenting and splashing the boat in October.

I got the waterlift muffler and siphon break installed on the Panda genset. Both items should make the surveyor happy, and a happy surveyor's report will make my insurance company happy, so hopefully they'll authorize splashing the boat in October. There's a lot more going on right now, but by all signs I'm on track to get the bottom wet again within 50 days.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing the Panda Genset Waterlift Muffler and Siphon Break

Cheers,
    Q

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    Thanks Captain Ralph!

I'm curious--what was the problem with the Panda you mentioned?
    Older 10KW model. Never could get a manual for this exact unit.
    A real cool electric throttle control. Stepper motor controlled starting and running throttle positions. wonderful schedule point; Soak it with WD40 when checking / adding oil.
    Back flush the raw water passages with dock side water pressure. This unit used raw water for the alloy gen-set end.

Every 2 to 3 years, just order another beer can set of caps in the remote box.

A tiny block spinning 3600 rpm just makes my spine rattle.

Here is a pic of my first flushing

Now, I have mentioned this before, Some agree, most are in luv with their FPs.

I'm hoping you have many years of good service. We here will know, it has had a baby install and sweet environment.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 09-10-2022 at 10:44 PM.

My boat has cable-drive tachometers that I had restored and converted from gas to diesel RPM range (5,000 max recalibrated to 4,000). The Cummins 6CTA engines I bought also came with tach drives running off the injector pump gear. But when I went to connect the cables to the tach drives, I discovered there was a critical missing part AND the end of the cable core was incompatible with the drive output shaft. I swear, I spent more time trying to find the parts to make it all come together than I did eventually installing them. But I finally got 'em done.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Making the Chris Craft Cable Drive Tachometers Work with Cummins 6-CTAs

Cheers,
    Q

Testing the tach drive with a power drill running in the engine room.

If you reversed the drill rotation, do the hours subtract?

Only Schroedinger knows...

Things are jumping along very well toward splashing the boat in October.

I figured I should hook up the throttle cables, which is easy enough: couple of clips, a few dozen screws holding P-clamps in place, and they're done. But I was cleaning out the garage and found a brand new Accusync twin engine sychronizer sitting on the shelf. I bought it for a 1967 Chris Craft Constellation 52 we used to own, but I never installed it. The 671 Detroit Diesel engines in that boat didn't have a sender or alternator that sent an RPM signal, so I couldn't use the Accusync and it went on the shelf...until recently.

I found the perfect spot to install it in my Roamer, and my Cummins engines (by happy chance) not only have the outputs for cable-drive tachometers like mine, they also have the optional magnetic pickups used for more modern, electronic tachometers. The Accusync can use the signal from the mag pickups to synchronize throttles for both engines.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing Throttle Cables & Accusync Engine Synchronizer

Cheers,
    Q

I'm wailing away on the boat and am still optimistic about splashing in October.

To de-tent and splash the boat, it needs to be reasonably weather-proof on the topside and absolutely water-tight on the bottom. One of the things I've been stewing over for years has been what to do about the aft stateroom bilge vents. Chris Craft used flexible hose there to route air to and from the bilge, but the hose didn't last and when it let go it allowed water from rain or washing the boat to seep into the back side of interior plywood panels. After trying one possible solution that I ended up rejecting, I recently decided to fire up my TIG welder and make vent tubes out of aluminum. They turned out pretty good, and will last at least as long as the hull itself.

So that's two water-entry points that have been resolved. And with the vent tubes installed, I can now install the mahogany porthole surrounds and FINALLY install the portholes that have been done and ready to install since 2016!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Aft Stateroom Vents

Cheers,
    Q

Before

After