Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 156 of 186 FirstFirst ... 56 106 146 154 155 156 157 158 166 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,560 of 1855

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    Thanks!

Tony Athens over at Seaboard Marine says you could divert 1/3 of the raw water from your average Cummins' HEX and it would still be more than enough to cool the exhaust. All that added water and vapor just means you have to oversize the exhaust. I could have gone with an even bigger tell-tale to blow more water overboard without going through the muffler, but my calculations are that my muffler/exhaust system can handle the full flow.
    The ones that were diesel came this way from the factory. My 47 Commander has side discharges for engine cooling water. It's how Chris-Craft got away with somewhat smaller exhausts than normal. Hatteras just used larger exhausts. They work the same either way.

With one end of the raw water system for the mains done, I moved on to the fuel system.

The tanks are in and I roughed out some of the basic plumbing back in 2016, but getting the fuel system done is essential to splash the boat ASAP. While working on the fuel gauge senders, I discovered that rat bastard thieves had siphoned 180 gallons of diesel from one of my tanks. May they rot in hell. Oh, and I discovered that Sunpro sells Made in China junk...I'm sticking with NOS American-made gauges from now on.

Anyway, over the next little while I'll be bending a lot of stainless tubing, getting the aft tank connected to the forward tank, building a valved manifold to control which tanks feed which engine, connecting the mains and genset to the system, and wrapping up the tank connections.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: The Fuel System

Cheers,
    Q

Over the last few days, I did an oil change on both my engines, which included repairing the wiring to the oil change pump, and also commissioned the FW system. Today it was 95 degrees out there. I can't believe you are in that tent, that is some dedication.

I couldn't take anymore as of 1pm yesterday. I stepped outside and it felt cool.

It was 95° F.

Both days- yesterday and the day before- I came home and realized I had early symptoms of heat exhaustion. You would think as an ER doctor, I would know better. Today I knocked off a lot earlier- and feel a good deal better in the bargain.

6. Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Both days- yesterday and the day before- I came home and realized I had early symptoms of heat exhaustion. You would think as an ER doctor, I would know better. Today I knocked off a lot earlier- and feel a good deal better in the bargain.
    I do a LOT of mountain biking here in Florida (yeah, it’s a thing- YouTube is your friend to see “Airborne Fort Pierce Trail” or “Santos Orlando”) so of course, I’ve heat stroked out dozens of times because it’s sooo humid where there’s no breeze in the summer, and just lay there on the ground waiting to die, but after 15 minutes or so, I make it to my water bottle, and am good to go on -like nothing happened for many miles back to the trailhead . I’ve at least learned now to wait til 6pm to start , when the temperature drops to at least 93 degrees. I no longer ride when it’s 97! Almost died (again) in Sedona!!
    Now I’ve recognized a common warning pattern in my thinking that give me a clue when Its soon to happen. When I find myself thinking I’m playing poker, I’ve now learned to dismount, lie down and drink some water. Practice makes perfect.
    Last edited by Retired1; 07-24-2022 at 04:28 PM.

I have myself and the crew stop once an hour for water and 5 or so minutes in air conditioning. We go through 10 cases of water a week. Theres 4 of us maximum.

This is not fun but we track urine output and color to keep hydrated and I've not had anyone go down.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    You would think as an ER doctor, I would know better.
    You should see the cobbler's shoes!!!

I have a buddy who's a master shipwright...does absolutely fabulous wood work. He lives on a boat that's a bloody disaster. Rotten wood and hack repairs everywhere. You'd think he'd know better...and yet... lol

With the fuel gauge and senders working, I got to work on the fuel connections on the Cummins 6CTAs. They originally came with 1/2" 45° flare fittings on the supply side and 5/16" return lines. I swapped that out for 1/2" 37° AN fittings and 3/8 returns, and installed new Type A1 fuel hose as the flexible connection between the engines and the 1/2" and 3/8" stainless tubing I'll be using for supply and returns.

I realize that installing fuel hoses on the engines may not seem like much of an accomplishment, but this was a gas boat. It's never had diesel fuel lines. And once the fuel system is done, there's not a whole lot that needs to be done to get this boat floating.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: On-Engine Fuel Hoses

Cheers,
    Q

With the on-engine fuel connections and hoses done, next I assembled and installed the fuel supply distribution manifold. Under normal conditions, each engine will run on its respective tank (stbd-stbd, port-port, genset-fwd), but if I end up with bad fuel in a tank, the manifold will let me run the engines off of any of the three tanks on board.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Fuel Supply Manifold

Cheers,
    Q

Awesome work! Noticed your screen name. 240z guy? That's my other passion.