Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 155 of 186 FirstFirst ... 55 105 145 153 154 155 156 157 165 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,550 of 1855

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

Great news!
    Warren
    1973 Chris-Craft 47 Commander
    1994 Sea Ray Laguna 16SC
    (wannabe Hatteras owner)

Quentin, I was down in your neck of the woods yesterday, but I couldn't remember which marina your Chris Craft is in. Glad things are looking up for you and I hope you are able to get back on the boat project and complete it- and that we all get to see photos and video of the launch and maiden voyage.

I’ve missed your updates and outstanding work. Glad you’re back.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks, everybody, for the kind words and encouragement over the years.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwappleton View Post
    OUTSTANDING!!! I only wish the jerk himself had to pay!!!
    Oh...you have no idea how badly I wanted to add the jerk and a half-dozen corrupt managers to the lawsuit personally. But my lawyer assures me that Congress and the courts have immunized corrupt bureaucrats from being held personally liable for flagrant violations of the law that nobody else is entitled to.

That said, his permanent termination from federal service is one of my many settlement demands, and it's in the group we've identified as being non-negotiable.

It really is criminal, though, that taxpayers will have to foot the bill for this corruption. We're subsidizing bad behavior...it's predictable that would lead to there being more of it.

Thanks!

I've been getting back into the groove with the refit. But I'm finding that in the time I was away from it, I forgot where I put a bunch of tools, parts, and supplies. I spent a half hour sifting through the boat three times, looking for a particular size of cable clamp. I found my stash of clamps, but there were only larger and smaller sizes, not the size I was looking for. It can be very frustrating since I KNOW I've got a bag of that size somewhere.

Anyway, I finally found the clamps and got busy installing my Magnum Energy 2000w inverter charger. That's one thing off the list that's a wrap.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing the Magnum Energy Inverter/Charger

Cheers,
    Q

I'm back to wailing away on the Roamer refit, trying to get the boat ready to splash ASAP. Finishing the raw water system for the main engines is a high priority, and one of the things I needed to do was install thru-hulls for raw water tell-tales so I can confirm that the exhaust showerheads are getting good flow when the engines are running. I couldn't find exactly what I needed, so I made them instead using parts that were readily available: 3/4" mushroom thru-hulls in 316 stainless and 5/8" tubing to match what I welded to the showerhead. They turned out pretty good!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Making Raw Water Thru-hull Outlets

Cheers,
    Q

I wrapped up the exhaust end of the main propulsion raw water system by making two pipes I used to connect the raw water outlet from the Cummins heat exchanger to the inlet on the exhaust riser showerhead. The problem was that the HEX outlet pointed directly at the riser and was only 3-1/2" away from it. When I made the risers, I figured I could either find a preformed hose that would route around the riser or I could take the HEXs to the radiator shop and have the outlets reoriented to point toward the showerheads. But I just decided it'd be best to use mandrel-bent stainless tubing and connect the pipes with short sections of 200-series no-wire marine exhaust hose and constant torque clamps.

I also connected the 5/8" raw water outlet at the top of the showerhead to the thru-hull I made recently. That'll divert excess water from having to go through the mufflers and it's nice to have tell-tales to confirm that raw water is flowing properly. All I'll have to do is take three steps from the helm and peek over the safety rail to see if water is squirting out of the thru-hull.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Wrapping up the Exhaust Showerhead Plumbing

Cheers,
    Q

The problem

The solution

Wow! Nice work!,
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

Beautiful work as always.

Years ago I had a 44' Striker SF which had a telltale system much like that you are doing. They had fitted valves on them, so you could shut the telltales off- I never quite saw the logic in that.

Thanks!

Tony Athens over at Seaboard Marine says you could divert 1/3 of the raw water from your average Cummins' HEX and it would still be more than enough to cool the exhaust. All that added water and vapor just means you have to oversize the exhaust. I could have gone with an even bigger tell-tale to blow more water overboard without going through the muffler, but my calculations are that my muffler/exhaust system can handle the full flow.