Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 186 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 115 ... LastLast

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

Screw that. The United States is up in Philly waiting for you to take her on. The hull is steel, the superstructure is aluminum. Maybe Nobel would donate a few hundred thousand gallons of paint.

Stripes are looking great!

I just have to ask why you didn't do the strips first its a lot less plastic and paper if you do them first. It always seems everyone does them last except me
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    When you get this one finished, there is another large steel boat waiting for you at the marina on Baltimore Yacht Club Road.

Bobk
    Ah...thanks, but no. When this refit is finished, I will have done my duty to the American classic boat fleet. But out of curiosity and nothing more, what's the large steel boat?

Jim, you're probably missing all of that one-on-one time you had keeping your Striker from dissolving. That old tub up in Philly might just fill what's been missing from your life since you left metal behind. ;-)

Thanks, Dan! But I'm curious how do you save plastic and paper by doing the stripes first. What's your process?

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    Ah...thanks, but no. When this refit is finished, I will have done my duty to the American classic boat fleet. But out of curiosity and nothing more, what's the large steel boat?

Jim, you're probably missing all of that one-on-one time you had keeping your Striker from dissolving. That old tub up in Philly might just fill what's been missing from your life since you left metal behind. ;-)

Thanks, Dan! But I'm curious how do you save plastic and paper by doing the stripes first. What's your process?
    Well when your doing the strip last you have to cover the hole boat any blue over spray is N.G. When you do the strip first you just need 12" of paper on each edge and very little over spray since it just a strip no need to cover the hole boat. When I shot the blue strip on the bridge I didn't even see any blue on the deck waited and tape off just the strip and painted the rest of the boat pulled the strip tape and your done
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

Are you striping the cabin top sides?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

You know, a few years ago I fell on the ice going into the ER to work and screwed up my shoulder. It took about a year to heal, mostly. Still stiff in weather like this.

I miss the Striker about the same amount as I miss my sore and unusable left shoulder. Of course, the shoulder pain may come back. The Striker, thanks to Eric, belongs to someone else.

If I had bought a Hatteras instead of the Striker, I'd probably still have it. I ended up with one anyway, so it's all fine.

Dang....sounds like that Striker was one hateful boat.

SKYCHENEY, the cabin top sides will get some African mahogany coated with MS1. I know that at least one of the 8/4 boards I've got has beautiful flame. I'm hoping I find enough of it.

Dan, I guess I could see how your approach on the stripes could save a little time and materials. But it only took us an hour or so to cover the hull. The difference in cost between 12" and 99" hand masking film is about $3/roll...not a great sum of money. Also, we didn't have to replace the 20' Sharkskin covering the topsides. We used the same stuff for the hull, the stripe, and for the last coat of MS1 we're spraying on the toe rail this weekend, so no extra effort there. Either way...it's all good.

I just posted a new article on installing the prop shaft cutlass bearing housings. Things were looking good until we hit a rock wall (or maybe it was aluminum...). Anyway, we'll have to continue the work next weekend or maybe the one after, once we get the equipment on site to resolve the current problems.

But even with the problems, I'm still on course to have the engines installed by the end of the year. yeehaw!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing the Propeller Shafts (part 1)

Cheers,
    Q

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    that at least one of the 8/4 boards I've got has beautiful flame. I'm hoping I find enough of it.

Dan, I guess I could see how your approach on the stripes could save a little time and materials. But it only took us an hour or so to cover the hull. The difference in cost between 12" and 99" hand masking film is about $3/roll...not a great sum of money. Also, we didn't have to replace the 20' Sharkskin covering the topsides. We used the same stuff for the hull, the stripe, and for the last coat of MS1 we're spraying on the toe rail this weekend, so no extra effort there. Either way...it's all good.
    Yup all good
    I see you say we I was just me so the least amount of big pieces of plastic to deal with was best for me
    Your light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter!

Good luck
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    I see you say we I was just me so the least amount of big pieces of plastic to deal with was best for me
    Your light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter!

Good luck
    Thanks!

But I had to read that bold part three times before I realized it made perfect sense! lol