Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 144 of 186 FirstFirst ... 44 94 134 142 143 144 145 146 154 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 1855

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

You'd be surprised.

For example, the ICA varnish we're using inside is a spray-only product. My compressor and refrigerated air dryer aren't dock-friendly, and I can't/won't bring them aboard.

Doing joinery is also going to get very challenging without my wood shop equipment readily available.

The deadline certainly is bad news. I don't know what to say other than get the boat ready to float. It is quite obvious that you are dedicated to this effort. I wonder if showing them how it looks inside now from week to week they will grant you some slack.
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    I wonder if showing them how it looks inside now from week to week they will grant you some slack.
    I was thinking the same thing. You're not some idiot on a nowhere mission.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quentin, could you make the boat seaworthy and then find another marina who would let you work on the boat at your leisure, there? This latest development is a huge pain in the ass, not a good way to begin the New Year. Also, do you have a contract with them. If so, does the new ownership have to honor the contract?

Jim, the contract runs out in April. I've got another marina option, but I really do not want to build a tent again.

Since I've got to get out by April (reportedly) I called the painter back so he could crank out top coating the V-berth with ICA catalyzed clear in satin. While he was sanding, I was making the last solid mahogany pieces (door jamb etc). The Boatamalan painter laid on four more coats of base, for a total of eight (four were sprayed in the tatami spray booth before I installed the panels). Then he sanded again and sprayed the top coat. It looked great the next day, when I arrived to pull the plastic!

And then I saw it in a photo I took. It was all white. Then I touched it, and it felt like 120 grit. The last part he sprayed is perfectly smooth, but the overspray from that didn't melt in to the top coat around the rest of the room.

The whole thing's oversprayed and has to be sanded and sprayed again.

I'm starting to like the idea of rolling and tipping more and more. Unfortunately, I already bought all of the ICA, and it doesn't roll and tip well. This isn't going as smoothly as I'd have liked.

It's always something.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Top Coating the V-berth

Cheers,
    Q

It is, indeed, always something. Sorry for all the headache.

Q do you think it could be compounded clean instead of having to re paint
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Q do you think it could be compounded clean instead of having to re paint
    I suspect it would take as much or more time to do that than to sand and spray. Plus, there are lots of edges to burn through. We just decided to respray. It's done. We'll see how it looks when I get to the yard in an hour or so.

The painter came out and sanded the V-berth, then taped it off, and re-sprayed the ICA varnish. But it turned out poorly again, with nicely flowed out sections while right next to that it was dry as can be. So he did it again, one last time, but this time taping it off and only spraying one section at a time. That approach worked, but geez...these materials aren't cheap. It's insane how much it cost to get that one little room sprayed. As nice as it looks when it's done right, I have to say I'm having a hard time seeing how the end result is worth the cost.

Anyway, it's (finally) done and it looks good.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Top Coating the V-berth II

Cheers,
    Q

Pardon the dusty lens.

Dusty lens? Looks like he hit it with the paint gun lol! Meanwhile that does look spectacular.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay