Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 124 of 186 FirstFirst ... 24 74 114 122 123 124 125 126 134 174 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 1855

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

Q, I'm very happy to see that you have resumed work on your project. We are all awaiting the great
    unveiling after completion. Just wanted to let you know how impressed I am with your progress and
    your latest example with the new mahogany board. Looks great. What type of mahogany are you
    using? I think the original was Honduras mahogany but I understand it has been very difficult to get and
    most current wood is slightly different. I have been toying with the idea of building a replica of an old
    1940's/1950's CC speedboat in my shop. I bought a complete set of plans but I'm not sure I'm up to
    the task. If I decide to proceed, it will be made of multiple layers of thin sliced wood epoxyed together
    with the final layer being Honduras mahogany as it will be varnished as were the originals. This is likely
    a long shot because I certainly don't have the energy level that I used to (I'm 82) but even if it never
    gets finished it gives me something to do in my shop to keep me off the streets nights. lol.

Walt

Thanks Walt!
    I got most of my mahogany stack at Exotic Lumber in Annapolis, MD. They sell rough cut lumber on pallets with varying board feet in each one, and the offerings differ by the week: https://www.exoticlumber.com/product-category/sale/

Mine was a scorching hot deal on 8/4 boards up to 14" wide and 15' long. But I don't recall what the source country was for it. I've had it for a decade!

I understand about the need to stay challenged and active. I suspect that most problems with youths is that they don't have challenging hobbies. Then there're guys like us who take on virtually impossible ones!

Thanks for the info...I'll follow up.

Walt

There's a screen at the salon entryway that slides back into the ceiling, behind the headliner. So I need to get that installed before the headliner can go in. I had been looking for replacement tracks for the screens for several years, but I could never find a dual track that fit 5/16" wide screen frames. I finally decided to use commonly available 1/4" cabinet panel tracks. I just had to machine away 1/32" of material from each side of each track. After a couple of failed attempts, I made a jig that worked with my ShopSmith in router mode. I probably have 25 hours into searching and then R&D, but I finally have a method that works. Booyah.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Salon Entryway Sliding Screen Tracks

Cheers,
    Q

The problem

The solution

Concept proved...ready to make the track

I got the entryway sliding screen tracks machined and I'm in the process of refurbing the screens themselves. But I had to take a bit of a break from the Roamer to take my other boat to the boatyard and refresh the bottom paint. There was a wild-looking boat out in purgatory row in the boatyard...planked in aluminum!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Salon Entryway Sliding Screen Tracks II

Cheers
    Q

Screen tracks are almost ready to install

My Commander 42 coming out of the river

The Gryphon is a planked boat

But it's not wood...it's aluminum!

Stainless screws? Or aluminum rivets? I have never seen a boat built like that. Are the ribs and stringers wood or aluminum?

Word has it the Gryphon is a Richardson, but nobody's been inside to see what the scantlings are. Based on what appear to be stainless machine screws holding each 'plank' to the battens, I'm guessing it's all extruded aluminum framing.

It might have once looked like this: https://www.portcarlingboats.com/tag...iser-for-sale/
    Last edited by q240z; 04-12-2019 at 03:48 PM.

I got my Commander 42 splashed after applying three coats of bottom paint, and I had a bit of time to burn one afternoon. So I broke out the fine sandpaper and buffing compounds and went to work on one of the stainless stanchion pipes I welded up two+ years ago. It's amazing how nice it looks. Comparing the finished pipe to the mill finish...you wouldn't think they were the same pipe!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Polishing Stainless Safety Rail Stanchions

Cheers,
    Q

Before

After

Good Morning Q,

Pipe finish looks great... how much time did you spend doing all that polishing? Why not just use SS
    polished tubing and save yourself all that extra work.

Walt

Thanks Walt!

I made these to replace three stanchions that were made from tubing. The problem with tubing is that it's not dimensionally identical to pipe. Whoever made the ones from tubing threaded them so they'd fit into the stanchion bases, but tube isn't as big in diameter as pipe. So the threads weren't full depth. Water running down the tube hits the threads and, since they're not proper pipe threads, it continued down past the stanchion base and into the mahogany toe rail, rotting it out. Using tubing would be an easier way to go in the short term, but over the long haul it causes a disaster.