Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 186 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

I had an aluminum boat years ago. They are constantly trying to dissolve. I see why you changed the exhaust system. The people who built the boat were not thinking of 40-50 years down the road.

As I understand it, the latest thing for cruisers in aluminum vessels is not painting the topsides at all. With no coating to hold moisture against the aluminum, corrosion doesn't happen. You end up with a metallic boat covered in aluminum oxide, which is incredibly tough stuff. It's not very pretty though, and takes a very different welding technique than what Chris Craft used on their production lines.

We're getting closer to painting this beast. 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Longboarding and Final Touch-ups on the Hull

Cheers,
    Q

Speaking of corrosion and maintenance on aluminum hulls...

I've been working on little stuff that has to be done before the paint goes on. The aft stateroom window openings needed some work, but when I opened them up I found they needed more than I thought. Oh well...better to find it now than to have the paint fail in a couple of years.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Aft Stateroom Windows

Cheers,
    Q

It looks like we might just get the hull painted this weekend. It's forecast to be a bit chilly on Sunday, but the tent catches and holds heat and it's going to be sunny...got my fingers crossed.

In the mean time, we got the final coat of primer on the hull. I'm off to the boatyard!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Final Prime Coat on the Hull

Cheers,
    Q

We got the hull sanded and ready for paint over the weekend. What a long slog that was!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Final Sanding the Hull

Cheers,
    Q

You know those glass and wood cases that the models come with, from Seacraft Classics? Wonder what one would cost, big enough for this......

HA! Great idea! Tent Model 9 is definitely arriving at end of life. I've been trying to decide what Model 10 will be like for the winter. One of those glass and wood model boxes would be awesome!

You coming over to help assemble it???

In other news...the hull is painted.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: The Hull is Shiny!

Cheers,
    Q

ooops...wrong one!

After all this work your boat is going to be too nice to put in the water!

Thanks!

I suspect I'll cry like a baby the first time she gets rained on. lol

Q

But since there's no doubt she's gonna get rained on, she's gonna need windows.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Salon Windows

Cheers,
    Q