Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 116 of 186 FirstFirst ... 16 66 106 114 115 116 117 118 126 166 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1855

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

I did! The Boatamalan left Weaver's a while back, and I hadn't been able to get ahold of him. I found a mobile painter in SoMD who came out to do the estimate, but when the crew showed up...it was the Boatamalan and some of his guys! He said he works on contract for the mobile painter sometimes. But the insurance company was a PITA on the claim.

The adjuster got a low-ball estimate from Osprey Marine to counter the one I got. Osprey is at Herrington Harbor North, which was one of the places that wouldn't even write an estimate for me...they don't do mobile repairs. But they wrote a lousy estimate for the insurance company that was 30% less than mine, and the guy never even came to see the boat!

One of the ways they saved money was by claiming this whole repair could be done with 5 rolls of tape! Mind you, there's shiny Awlcraft, plus nonskid, plus the black metallic and clear coated windshield frame, which meant the boat had to be covered with 3M masking film from stem to stern all the way down to the chine. And you can't leave the used plastic in place and just re-use it between paint types. For one thing, the dried overspray on the plastic pops off and turns into dust that can mess up the paint that's being sprayed. For another thing, inside the tent where it's incredibly hot and humid, tape that stays on for more than about 2 days doesn't liike to come off. I've spent a whole day removing old tape...it's no fun! The Boatamalan ended up going through three cases of 2" and one case of 1" 233+ tape for the whole job, along with a whole roll of Sharkskin and 3M masking film. They covered the whole boat three different times.

Osprey did the same thing (underestimating the actual materials and time) for all kinds of stuff. He said it'd take 2 quarts of Awlgrip and Awlcraft. But we needed 2 gallons of Awlcraft and one of Awlgrip. Actually, it took about 3 quarts of Awlgrip for the nonskid. But 3 quarts is more expensive than a gallon, so if you need more than 2 quarts you're better off buying a gallon. If we'd accepted Osprey's estimate, we'd have run out of paint before the surface was fully coated!

The insurance company ended up paying the original estimate, but it was a pain having to document and justify every line item.

Glad you got it done your way. I need to drive down there and see her, it sounds like things are finally turning the corner for you.

Yeah, well...this is the third disaster recovery I've done on this thing. I hope it's the last one!

The crew wrapped up repairs from the Nor'easter damage and we took advantage of the boat being taped off to put the final coats of clear on the mahogany toe rail. It turned out nice. Gotta get this thing splashed!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Fixing the Nor'easter Damage II

Cheers,
    Q

It looks awesome, seriously. My boat is nice, but nothing like that.

Well...this IS a Chris Craft, so...

It looks great. It should, for all the blood and treasure and sleepless nights you've had over it.

I'm beginning to think that given how great this looks when it's ready to go you won't want to take the cover off
    Regards
    Dan

No kidding. He's going to build a permanent museum for it, and have a velvet rope around it. Look, but don't touch.

Speaking of taking the cover off...

With the paint repairs done and hurricane season on the way, I peeled off the shrink wrap tent skin (it was covered with abrasive overspray), adjusted the roof frames down as low as possible, then reskinned the tent. I'm getting too old for this stuff. That's hard work!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Re-skinning Tent Model XXX (for the last time?)

Cheers,
    Q

Before

After

If complex projects keep a fellow alive, you are going to outlive us all. When can I drive down and admire it?