Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 186 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

Things have been a bit complicated recently, but the paint work from the rub rail up is finally done! This weekend, we're finishing up the fairing on the hull and then spraying the final coat of Awlgrip 545 primer. This Roamer will be painted top to bottom by next weekend!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: “The Shiny” Out to the Rub Rail

There was also another hiccup with a highly paid contractor whose work I had to go back and re-do.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Re-bunging the Mahogany Toe Rail

But the windows are on order and the exhaust system components on the way. Gotte keep moving toward that light at the end of the tunnel...

Cheers,
    Q

You'd better start getting your glass-enclosed fully climate-controlled on-land shed ready.....also, how are you going to do your boating, since this boat will be too nice to put into the water?

HA! It's funny you mention that. It's getting close to the point where the exterior will be waterproof, at which point I don't need a tent. BUT the first time a bird craps on the boat or leaves fall on the new paint, I might just start cryin' like a baby.

Q

The Boatamalans took the weekend off (they're super busy over at Weaver Boatworks), so I started working on the exhaust system.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Exhaust

Cheers,

Q

My hat is off to you! What a project. What excellence.

How painful to even consider getting it dirty! Just the thought of Bird Poop on the boat keeps me up at night!

"My hat is off to you!"

Thanks, pizzazsdaddy. That's high praise...especially since this is the HOF!!!

In other news, I took down the second-story scaffolding.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Dismantling the Deck-level Scaffolding

Cheers,
    Q

I've got the exhaust system built and ready for the paint shop.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Exhaust II

Cheers,
    Q

Why did you go with side exhausts and vertical mufflers of that type? didn't this boat originally have transom exhausts?

Yup, it did have transom exhaust--straight pipes, with a rectangular muffler in the ER. There were a couple of factors that helped me decide on side exhaust with waterlift mufflers: noise and smell reduction, backpressure, space, and (of course) bang for the buck. That's the topic of a forthcoming article.

Stay tuned.

Q

My latest article is on cutting out the old exhaust. Good thing I did, too...it was rotting out on the underside.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Exhaust III, Decommissioning the OE System

Cheers,
    Q