Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 136 of 186 FirstFirst ... 36 86 126 134 135 136 137 138 146 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1855

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

epoxy those cracked boards back together. No one will ever know.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

No need, for now anyway. There was enough pretty stuff for what what's coming up.

It's wierd, having owned a big wooden Chris, to be firm in my belief that I've got all the mahogany I'll ever need. LOL

As you said Q, for what you paid it's an amazing bargain cracks and all.

Walt

Glad you agree, Walt! I haven't seen prices like that in a long time. Even back in 2009, it was a scorching deal. I'm glad I bought as much as I did.

That said, I've been sort of jumping around from topic to topic recently, all over the boat, because lots of stuff has been going on while the headliners were being installed in the V-berth, salon, and aft stateroom. One of the things I contracted out was to have the headliner installer put padded Whisper Wall on the walls surrounding where the mattress will go in the V-berth. I'm really happy with the work this installer has done. It's refreshing after so many incompetent fools I've had bill me $$$ for poor-quality work.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: V-berth Bed Surround Padded Headliner

Cheers,
    Q

From the V-berth, next I jumped into the aft deck and started making mahogany dust. Lots of it.

The Boatamalan painter lost two of three big pieces of original mahogany that span the top of the helm windshield. It would have been practically impossible to make new wood match the old one, so I made all three panels from the boards I had resawn recently. I also made some corner pieces for the aft deck that I'll use to join four plywood panels.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Helm Station Mahogany

Cheers,
    Q

As long as I'm working with solid mahogany in the aft deck and helm area, I figured I might as well get the panel work done, too. It's turning out really nice.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Aft Deck Mahogany Panels

Cheers,
    Q

I've been ripping through the resawn mahogany boards recently. Turned another couple of rough cut boards into pretty stuff.

"progress"

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Helm Station Mahogany II

Cheers,
    Q

Next I fitted the 3mm mahogany plywood to the helm bulkhead. I'm using plywood instead of veneer because it's a lot easier to work with and it's half the price of veneer. It sure looks better than the original bulkhead.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Helm Station Mahogany II

Cheers,
    Q

Way back in the beginning

Last weekend

I spent a tedious day recently pulling wire and cable from the V-berth and salon power panel all the way up to the aft deck hardtop ceiling. I have to get the wiring all done before we can install the headliner. Fortunately, this part of the job is done. Hopefully, I'll never have to do that again.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Aft Deck Wiring

Cheers,
    Q

As part of the prep for installing the aft deck headliner, I've got to get everything installed in the ceiling overhead. The wiring is pretty much done, so my next project was to make a mahogany box for the radios and fuel gauge. I ended up using the leftover mahogany boards from the resawn fascia boards I made in the aft stateroom. I have to say, it looked a bit rough on the dusty, oxidized side that was exposed to air without varnish for a decade. But once it's glued up, sanded, and varnished that's some pretty wood.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Helm Station Radio Box

Cheers,
    Q

Before

After