Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 117 of 186 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 115 116 117 118 119 127 167 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1855

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

Jim, I've noticed a pattern in which I announce a big job coming up soon, then once the big job is done you mentioned how you'd like to come visit the boat. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    Speaking of taking the cover off...

With the paint repairs done and hurricane season on the way, I peeled off the shrink wrap tent skin (it was covered with abrasive overspray), adjusted the roof frames down as low as possible, then reskinned the tent. I'm getting too old for this stuff. That's hard work!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Re-skinning Tent Model XXX (for the last time?)

Cheers,
    Q

Before

After
    A friend of mine tried building a structure similar to this and the city came in and stated he needed a building permit costing $6,000.00. He had to take down the upper part to make them go away. Only in California.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

well, duh. You don't expect me to WORK do you? C'mon now

Work?

It's not work! It's loooooove!

Speaking of love...

I'm back at work inside the boat, finishing up the inside of the salon cabinet. It's brutally hot and humid though, so there's a limit to how much I can do since I'm working with wood. Dripping sweat makes it hard to get the job done. But I'm making progress and should be able to wrap this up soon.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Back Into the Starboard Salon Cabinetry

Cheers,
    Q

I spent more time than I wanted to inside the cabinetry again, cleaning up the engine room blower outlet. Water had gotten under the barrier coat, so there was a lot of aluminum oxide to clean up before I coated the whole thing with epoxy. Once that was done, I was able to install another insulated plywood panel inside the cabinet. I've only got one more to go, and this part of the project will be done. Boo

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Still Inside the Starboard Salon Cabinetry

Cheers,
    Q

Before

After

Hey Quentin—great stuff (as usual).

I’ve got some blistering under the paint on my aluminum radar arch, but had not considered epoxy coating to reseal.

What are your expectations/experience with longevity for that approach?

DAN

Thanks, Dan!

I think epoxy works fine in places that don't get direct sun exposure. West System has a hardener that provides UV protection, but without that the coating will break down over time from sunlight. For a radar arch, I'd sand to bright metal, hit it with alumaprep and alodine, power wash to remove every hint of those chemicals, then prime with Awlgrip's aluminum primer followed by 545 and the topcoat. I recently heard that simply washing off the alumaprep and alodine (even using a stiff bristle brush) isn't enough to remove every trace of the chemical. If any trace remains, as the sun hits the topcoat and heats it up, the residue causes a blister. Power washing seems to be the solution to that problem.

Great input—sounds suspiciously like what may have been the problem in the first place!

I approve this project. My boat will be ready for you to commence as soon as you fly out...

DAN

Sounds good.

I'll be there just as soon as the private jet arrives along with the 6-figure cashier's check...and I'm talking 'significant figures' for both the check and the stewardesses on the plane!