Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 121 of 186 FirstFirst ... 21 71 111 119 120 121 122 123 131 171 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1855

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

Good deal!
    Regards
    Dan

Thanks guys!

I cut a bunch of small panels that the new Kai LED salon lights will fit up into after the headliner is installed. The lights were a very generous contribution from HOF member Bayside Bert54. This headliner goes into a track around the perimeter of the space, with additional track installed at no more than 54" intervals to secure the edges of the 56" wide headliner. None of this has to be pretty, since it'll all be hidden by headliner. But the panels do all have to be installed just at the height of the track, which is 1/2" tall.

Progress.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing the Salon Light Mounts

Cheers,
    Q

I got the salon light wiring installed, but the longer I stared at the ceiling, the more I realized I'd messed up when I installed the light mounting panels. I've got to redo all of them.

Two steps forward, one step back. That said, I'm glad I caught it now rather than when the headliner guy shows up.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Wiring the New Salon Lights and...a Problem

Cheers
    Q

It's been more than a month since I last posted an update. I finally got the LED light mount panels installed (I had to redo them twice!), but I lost the memory card that had all of the pictures of each mini-project I'd been working on. Since my blog is picture heavy, no pix = nothing to write about. I also developed a nasty case of tendonitis in both elbows, so I decided to lay off the heavy labor for a bit. I had a bunch of projects that needed to get done at my house, too, and this seems like opportunity presenting itself. And lastly, my insurance company refused to renew my policy on the boat because of the burglary loss in 2014 and the Nor'easter damage in 2018. I think I'll be able to get insured through another company after I jump through a bunch of hoops, but it strikes me as less risky to let the boat sit fallow than to continue working on it with no insurance.

So...once the tendonitis and insurance issues resolve, I'll get back to the boat project and continue posting.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Redoing the New Salon Light mounts

Cheers,
    Q

Glad to hear from you; did you try BoatUS? Just curious.

No, I didn't. Though I'm insured through them with my Commander 42, I assumed they wouldn't insure a project. Maybe I should check 'em out...

Worst they could say is no...

Thanks for the suggestion, Jim. They didn't say no. In fact, they came in at 1/3 of the premium quoted by Hagerty! I'm just waiting for the surveyor's report to initiate the policy.

In the meantime, this tendonitis is still whooping on me. I had very good results with cortisone shots last year when I had a case of tendonitis in my wrist, so I'm going in tomorrow for shots in the elbows. Hopefully, that'll resolve this. Cue the Rolling Stones: What a drag it is getting old!

Even though I'm not doing much heavy lifting now, I was able to repurpose two old doors into a pile of 1" x 1" mahogany cleats and some really pretty six-foot boards.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Repurposing Old Doors

Cheers,
    Q

Before

After

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    What a drag it is getting old!
    Good title for a song.... oh wait....

At some point in life it becomes a war of attrition. Don't let the project beat you. You'e been going for 120% all along, and have achieved more than many I've seen, and I've seen a few. At this point I would be shifting towards completion with the caveat that you may hide a few things to do later.

Time to get on the water.

Then again, Wooden Boat had an article a few years ago about a guy who spent twenty something years building a fifty something foot wood schooner from scratch. He completed it, launched it and sailed it. The pictures were beyond stunning. He sailed it one day, then he sold it and not long after that passed away. Guess he didn't really want to go anywhere.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

It seems there are dedicated souls in many transportation sectors. I recently heard about the guy who spent 17 years making a Lambo Countach in his basement. Once it was done and he'd driven it for a while, he sold it. Turns out the making it part was more satisfying to him than the driving it part.

https://jalopnik.com/hand-made-lambo...ees-li-5065896