Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 158 of 186 FirstFirst ... 58 108 148 156 157 158 159 160 168 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 1855

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

I got back on the fuel system next. I assembled the fuel filter assemblies, then attached them to the manifold. They turned out real nice. This is good progress toward splashing the boat, which I hope will happen before November. New management at the marina just bumped yard rental 33%!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Fuel Filters

Cheers,
    Q

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Where did you buy the industrial vent hose? I have some ideas for that.
    Hey Jim. Flagship sells fiberglass reinforced duct hose for a lot less than what they're asking on ebay: https://flagshipmarine.com/product/f...rious-sizes-2/

Thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    I got back on the fuel system next. I assembled the fuel filter assemblies, then attached them to the manifold.
    I worry about the lack of support holding up those fuel filters. When full of fuel, that's a few pounds shaking around out there.
    I do luv all those shinny fittings and valves.

In a previous life, I was a homebrewer. But I only ever had a single tap. These manifolds are much more complicated!

As far as support for the fuel filters, Tony Athens over at Seaboard Marine has tips and tricks articles on multi-filter setups he's installed that includes numerous examples like mine. When there's room and it makes sense to install them on a bulkhead, he uses brackets and bolts on all of the filter heads. But in other situations, like mine (where bulkhead space is limited), he uses bolts to attach the secondary filter head, with the primary filter attached with a close nipple just like I did. I'm pretty sure the 1/4-20 machine screws and close nipples don't much notice a few extra pounds.

Also, in Tony's examples he uses hose at the filter inlet while I'll be using stainless tubing. The rigid tubing will offer some additional support at the end of the primary filter head inlet.

Anyway, with the supply manifold and fuel filters done, next I bent a long stretch of 3/8" 304 stainless tubing to supply fuel from the manifold to the forward fuel tank. Rather than drilling more holes in the exterior and installing another fuel fill, I decided to just use tubing internal to the boat and fill the forward tank from fuel in the aft main tanks.

One question I still wonder about is how pros straighten coiled stainless tubing? Even the 3/8" tubing is impossible for me to straighten out like it was never coiled. I get it close, then use rubber-isolated p-clamps to hold the tubing in position and straightened out. If anybody has tips and tricks for straightening coiled tubing, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing the Forward Fuel Tank Supply Line

Cheers,
    Q

In my quest to splash the boat before the end of boating season 2022, I'm wailing away on the fuel system for the main engines. I recently got the 304 stainless fuel return lines installed, connecting the bulkhead fittings to the on-engine hoses. Bending the tubing has given me great respect for the artisan skills of guys who do this for a living.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Bending & Installing Main Engine Fuel Return Tubing

Cheers,
    Q

Q you need a guy that was in the electrical construction trade, they are masters at bending conduit. Boiler makers are pretty good too!

Too late, whoover! The tubing's already bent!

Q

What did you use on the stainless threads? We did a lot of work in the chemical industry always had problems with sealing SS pipe threads. It was a problem with the threads galling from what I remember.
    Last edited by rsmith; 08-28-2022 at 07:36 AM.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Depending on the application, I use TefGel mostly for nuts and bolts and Gasoila for pipe fittings. Both contain teflon.