Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 129 of 186 FirstFirst ... 29 79 119 127 128 129 130 131 139 179 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 1855

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

I mentioned that to Quentin, but he SWEARS the boat will be put into the water and actually run and used. I sure hope so. Among other things, with those big Cummins engines, it ought to perform briskly, and I want a ride on it.

Thanks guys!

Yup, the plan is to use the heck out of it. I do wish I had a shed to park it in though...

The headliner installer made the V-berth hatch trim ring out of mahogany. It looks a lot better than the stainless sheet metal and anodized aluminum moldings that Chris Craft used. But instead of using the bandsaw, slot cutter, and other tools I've got on-site, he used a grinder to do most of the shaping. That made it a lot more time consuming for him and for me to get it ready for varnish. In the end, it turned out OK.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Mahogany Trim Ring for the V-berth Hatch

Cheers,
    Q

Quentin, you should look at covered slips at Piney Narrows Yacht Haven in Kent Narrows. At least in the winter you could store the boat in there and keep the weather off her. It's also not at all a bad place to keep a boat and use her. Only covered sheds I know of, around here. I don't think there are any left in Annapolis, and even if there were, they'd be even more money.

You know, if it suited my purposes for how we use our boat, I'd be in a covered slip at Coltons Point ASAP. But all things considered, it's just not in the cards...for now.

I jumped back into the aft stateroom to deal with a problem caused by a 'Mr. Good But Slow' years ago that I just discovered when getting ready to do the final veneer panel work so the headliner can be installed. Basically, the bulkhead wall at the aft stateroom door has a bit off a curve in it. Since the door won't have a curve in it, I need to make a door jamb that's straight to match the door, but curved on the other side to match the bulkhead. It was challenging, but the mahogany door jamb turned out pretty good. It looks lots better than the original one!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Aft Stateroom Entryway Door Jamb

Cheers,
    Q

OEM door jamb piece

New door jamb piece

Before the guy can install the headliner tracks at the aft stateroom door, I have to do something about the ugly bulkhead there. I had one last sheet of 1/8" mahogany plywood in the stack, so I pulled it out to finish this off. I haven't glued all of the panels in place yet, but it's looking a lot better.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Aft Stateroom Entryway Mahogany Panels

Cheers,
    Q

Before

After

I got the big veneer panel to the left of the aft stateroom door installed and put a small panel across the top. So there was pretty mahogany all around the door. But there was still part of an ugly beam that runs across the top of the bulkhead and supports the aft deck above that I had to do something about. I had some mahogany veneer scraps that were just the right size. The grain's not the same as the rest of the aft cabin (quartersawn ribbon stripe vs flat cut), and picky people will note that the grain isn't oriented properly for a structural piece, but I think it's just fine. Once the whole thing's done, if anybody comes onboard and points that out, I'll kick 'em off the boat! I don't need nitpickers in my life!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Aft Stateroom Entryway Mahogany Panels II

Cheers,
    Q

The beam before

The beam after

Ready for varnish!

Q, You need to stop telling everyone about the small things that you imagine are not ok. I think that
    fix you did looks great and so what if the grain is not exactly what you wanted. No one will notice but
    you so don't point it out. You're doing a great job, certainly better than most folks are capable of....

Walt

Thanks Walt!

You know, it's half self-deprecating humor, half irritation with myself when I might have been able to make it look better without much more cost or effort, and half experience with friends coming onboard and, for example, pointing to runs in the ICA base coat and asking if I plan to do anything about that.

It's base coat! Come back when it's top-coated! lol

It's all in good fun, but I do appreciate your kudos, Walt.

That said, for example, I was thinking as I was looking at the pictures that I should have put in a block of mahogany to bring that beam all the way to the door jamb. Then I could have veneered it, and I think it would have looked better. The only reason the beam is cut off where it is, is because that's where the wall was for the OEM aft stateroom head. But there's no reason I HAD to leave it there.
    Last edited by q240z; 06-27-2019 at 08:18 PM.

As far as I'm concerned, the grain is oriented properly. It should all be vertical. I hate the horizontal grain in many of the new boats. It looks wrong.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI