Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

hose replacement - guidance please

Looking at replacing the hoses on both main engines (871 N) this winter. Any words of wisdom? I am thinking that some of them are going to be buggers, particularly the shorter lengths, and figure that a heat gun would help.

Other thoughts, helpful hints, words of wisdom?

I did check out a previous thread here entitled "short hose replacement" and that was a helpful start.

Thanks,

Cheryl
    Cinderella
    1971 53 MY

Re: hose replacement - guidance please

To change some of the short hoses, other parts need to be removed. So, while you're at it, change the thermostats as well.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Work a screwdriver around the hose to unstick it from the metal then pry the hose away from the fitting a shoot a little wd40 in the space. A little go-Jo or liquid soap will help the hose go on. A heat gun may work but they melt everything in their path and you have to pay attention where you lay it down. Snap on makes a tool like a bent pick that works very well for removing hoses.

Hi Cheryl, It's a pretty big job. I had Tom Hug (MR Power) replace all the hoses on both of my 8v53's when I bought my 41 TC in 2011. This included one new heat exchanger core and a thorough cooling system re-do (impellers, t-stats etc). Materials and labor was + or - $6,500. I would never have attempted this project myself.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I did mine myself over two winters as they had the original hoses on 1978 671N's. One engine each winter. Work included:

New silicon water hoses with new bellville clamps
    New oil lines with new connectors
    New fuel lines with new connectors
    Themostats
    New fresh water pumps
    Clean heat exchangers with new gaskets and bolts
    New block heaters
    Paint engines while everything was apart (brushed Rustoleum Professional)
    New large capacity coolant recovery tanks
    New airbox hoses
    New oil change hoses
    New valve cover gaskets
    New zincs
    Rewrapped all wiring harnesses with silicon tape

Everything came apart very easily except broke a couple of bolts at bottom of heat exchangers. Once casting was off, the remaining parts of bolts came out easily with a little PB Blaster. I made up all of the hoses myself including connectors except for one s shaped water hose that I purchased from J&T. Cost after much internet shopping was about $1000 - $1100 per engine plus some bruised knuckles and ribs. Learned a lot about the engines in the process so it was worth it for me to do this myself. I can provide sources for parts next week if you would like.
    Last edited by Timeout; 02-06-2013 at 05:52 AM.
    Kevin Shea 1978 43DC
    Sandusky, OH

Kevin,

please post the source list! I have same hull / engine combination and I am going to start in a month!

Thanks,

Russ Appleton
    79 43DC#511

Attached source list and picture.
    Attached Images
    Attached Files
    Kevin Shea 1978 43DC
    Sandusky, OH

Great Job...........I love a nice clean engine room!

In light of the (impressive) itemized list in the previous post, let me clarify my proposed "scope of work" at this time only includes the hoses in the fresh water system. Is that a reasonable place to start?

Eric, I reflected on your remarks after reading them last night. Given this clarification on scope of work, I couldn't see how this work could cost in the 6k range- I did see that you listed some additional items. I had my heat exchangers serviced 2 years ago.

Thoughts? Manageable? I did do some poking around the ER last night and I agree some of the hoses are going to be challenging. Thought about just waiting until next time heat exchanger needs servicing.

Cheryl
    Cinderella
    1971 53 MY

C, The new HE core part was around $1K alone. This bill also included new trans oil lines and adding coolant recovery bottles as I didn't have those. My engines are 8's not 6's. When I'm back in town, I'll pull the invoices and share them with you.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"